Need a alt renderer

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

What Media Renderer to buy?

Postby Grootmeester » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a media renderer for my TV so I can stream my movies to my TV. I want to stream mostly 1080p movies, some of them are Untouched blu-ray rips/Remux (so high bitrate..)
Also, the renderer needs to have Component video out (no HDMI) and Optical out (audio). So I can hook it up to my receiver for Surround sound. It doesn't necessarily need to use PMS, maybe with internal storage it is not required.
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/about/ I found under supported devices the following devices which fits my needs, however, I don't have any experience with them and don't know alternatives not named here. So please your advice:

Asus O!Play
    Xtreamer
    AC Ryan PlayOn!HD
    Popcourn Hour
    Brite-view CinemaTube
    Western Digital WD TV Live

Can anybody help me? I don't want to buy a PS3, thanks!
Grootmeester
Grootmeester

Re: What Media Renderer to buy?

Postby DeFlanko » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:07 pm

I was looking at the new lil sony media player the otherday.. it has the same layout (XMB) as the playstation... so i bet it'll work out of the box with ps3mediaserver.

Sony Streaming Player with Wi-Fi

Developed a few CONF files...
DeFlanko

Need a alt renderer

Postby dirte1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:18 am

Is there anything I can use with PSM that is under $50?
That would be Its only purpose so I would like something cheap.
Also must have hdmi.
dirte1

Re: Need a alt renderer

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:35 am

There are several streamers with HDMI out for under $50. Try Google/Amazon &c.

Thread locked.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Tablet that loads uTorrent-PS3 Media Server-Ethernet

Postby pulp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:53 am

I'm looking for any handy-dandy tablet that can load a torrent client, PS3 Media Server and has an Ethernet Port to hook it up to a PS3. iPad is crap, can't do anything with that passive toy. Is there such a beast in tablet form? Thanks for any help. :)
pulp

Raspberry Pi

Postby kod » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:41 am

Hi,

Do you guys know if the Raspberry Pi will work with PS3 Media Server? One of my PS3's died... so i was looking for alternatives, but considering reliability of PS3 Media Server I'd like to know if I could use it. Please let me know if this device is or will be supported.

thanks!
kod

Re: Raspberry Pi

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:08 am

kod wrote:Do you guys know if the Raspberry Pi will work with PS3 Media Server?

If you mean "Can PMS run on the Raspberry Pi?", see the FAQ and here for an idea of the minimum requirements (bear in mind it only has 256 MB of RAM).

If you mean "Can PMS stream to the Raspberry Pi?", PMS doesn't stream to "devices"; it streams to DLNA renderers. For a free DLNA renderer that works with the Raspberry Pi, see XBMC (wiki).

To find out about the specs and capabilities of a device, use Google. This isn't the right forum to ask for advice on buying renderer or server hardware. We have enough spam to deal with already without asking for more.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Re: What Media Renderer to buy?

Postby Grootmeester » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Wouldn't this be important for the users of this forum to know? Which device works best with the program?
Grootmeester

Hardware: DLNA-client with integrated amplifier?

Postby zenlord » Sun May 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for a device that:
1. is small;
2. has a (good) DLNA-client;
3. has an amplifier on board.

This is hard to find, apparently. Up until now I have found some micro-systems (but they always come with speakers) and recent line-ups of receivers (Denon, Onkyo etc.) have dlna-clients on board. But these devices are not that small and come with a decent price tag (in fact, I can buy a 22" Samsung TV that is DLNA-capable for the same price)...

Does anyone know any alternative renderers that fit the profile?
zenlord

Best Set Top Box?

Postby infinityends » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:15 am

Looking for suggestions of one of the set top boxes like appletv and roku. (which I realize it wont with with appletv and I dont know about roku)

I love using this with my ps3, but between my original launch ps3 getting up there in age, and I dont want to buy a new one if it flakes out when next gen consoles are expected to be out in 18 months. As well as I know the PS3 is fairly power hungry and I wouldnt mind using a lower power device when the ps3's horsepower isnt really needed.

I know there is a list of devices on the about page, but I am looking for what peoples experiences have been with these devices as I am trying to find one that works well
infinityends

Next

Return to Alternative Media Renderers