Wanted: Watched/Unwatched support and follw.it

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Wanted: Watched/Unwatched support and follw.it

Postby cjsewell » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:47 am

Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a way I can track watch and unwatched videos.
I have a PC and lapotp running MeidaPortal.
When ever I watch a movie or TV Episode it marks it as watched and syncs with follw.it so the other MediaPortal marks it as watched as well.

To save plugging in the laptop into the bedroom TV when ever the wife has the lounge TV, I setup PS3 Media server and use the PS3, this is working without a hitch.

My only issue PS3 Media Server does not support marking or displaying the TV episodes as watched.
Not a big issue, just means if a few episodes have been added, I usually spend a few minutes figuring out what the last one I watched was. ( Useless memory with episode names.... )

Anyone know if its possible or planned to add this kind of support?

I could look into developing a plugin myself, just didn't want to start if some one else is working on similar project

Cheers
cjsewell

Re: Wanted: Watched/Unwatched support and follw.it

Postby taconaut » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:06 am

I've done this with pms-mlx when playing local files; not for web streams though. I can't tell if the start/stop notifications fire the same way for local and web resources!?
Don't think anything like that is currently planned.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby cjsewell » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:38 am

Wow, your project takes PS3 Media Server to a new level. Looks awesome, may have to use your build.
So many more ideas now.

I haven't even looked at code yet, but since pms-mlx can already track played videos I might start poking around in that.
Shouldn't be to hard to add in follow.it support once a video has been watched.... I hope

Also had a thought about the played/never played identification.
I would assume prefixing something like (W) for watched to the file name would be easy.
What would be nicer is modifying the thumbnail, having a white dot in the corner for unwatched, or green for watched. etc

Either way, Ill download a couple of the example plugins and have a play around, see what I can contribute...

Cheers

Cheers
cjsewell

Postby taconaut » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:53 am

Glad you like it :)

I'm in the process of finalizing the modified plugin system (net.pms.plugins). This is to avoid having to separate factories for pms and pms-mlx. I've seized the opportunity to add some additional functionality (like an icon, update url etc).
If you can wait for a week or so, the interfaces should be final; there are still a few issues to iron out.
If you want to have a head start, have a look at the plugins here https://github.com/taconaut/pms-plugins

Also had a thought about the played/never played identification.
I would assume prefixing something like (W) for watched to the file name would be easy.
What would be nicer is modifying the thumbnail, having a white dot in the corner for unwatched, or green for watched. etc

You can show the play count in the file name by adding '%play_count' to the display name mask.
A plugin system will be added to get the thumbnail for a file. With this, a plugin could e.g. take the cover and overlay additional images like a green dot for played, a HD logo for HD material etc.

We're now talking seriously about merging the mlx branch into the trunk. You can expect thhis to happen in the coming months.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby cjsewell » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks again, ill download the sources and start having a play around.
Its been a while since I have done anything with Java so will need a head start anyway.

I will start with looking at syncing watched/unwatched with follow.it
Got in the back of my mind doing something like the TmdbMovieImportPlugin but for TV Episodes with http://www.thetvdb.com/ as well.

Ill keep this thread updated with where I'm at and look forward to the new release and the thumbnail plugin.
cjsewell

Postby taconaut » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:38 am

cjsewell wrote:I will start with looking at syncing watched/unwatched with follow.it
Got in the back of my mind doing something like the TmdbMovieImportPlugin but for TV Episodes with http://www.thetvdb.com/ as well.

Please do! I've been waiting for this for quite some time :D I didn't want to start it myself as I've got other things pending and haven't figured out the good way how to generate the name to query. For me the series are located in e.g. 'C:\Series\That's My Bush\Season 1\s01e01 - An Aborted Dinner Date.avi'. I guess we should be able to specify which part of the file path corresponds to what (series name, season, episode name).
taconaut
Project Member

Postby cjsewell » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:21 am

Hey there,

Had a chance to sit down tonight and have a look at what I can do but I have an issue.
I modified the PlayCountWatcher and added in some code to login to follw.it in the donePlaying method.
I complied it and copied the resulting jar to the plugins folder and removed the orignal.

But when I attempted to start PMS MLX it threw an error stating
Configuration error: net/pms/plugins/StartStopListner

I thought maybe it was a dependency issue, so just tried to compile the unmodified PlayCountWatcher source. But the same issue popped up.

I use Netbeans and just opened the Maven project as per usual, and build it like an ordinary project.

What am I missing?

For plugin development should I really run PMS MLX from sources in Netbeans so I can get more useful output?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
cjsewell

Postby taconaut » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:36 am

I'm using eclipse, but guess there shouldn't be any problem using netbeans. I suspect you're trying to access the PmsConfiguration befaore it has been initialized. I've changed the init process a bit because I had a similar issue. As the implementation isn't fully done and tested, it still lives in its own branch (https://github.com/taconaut/pms-mlx/tree/mvn_struct). You could try replacing the code contained in PMS.init() to see if this is the case. If not, a stack trace will probably be useful.

Pms loads plugins dynamically from the plugins directory (check the debug.log to make sure you put the compiled plugin in the correctfolder). When adding the plugin project to eclipse, I'm able to debug the plugin code if it's the same as the one contained in the plugin jar.
taconaut
Project Member

Postby cjsewell » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:05 am

Just thought I would keep you updated.

Using the sources from https://github.com/taconaut/pms-mlx/tree/mvn_struct and modifying the PlayCountWatcher from https://github.com/taconaut/pms-plugins I can now compile and run it all OK.

I haven't got much further, but hoping to dedicate some time this weekend to get the PlayCountWatcher to update my follw.it account.
cjsewell

Postby cjsewell » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:31 am

Another update.

I has to create the tvdb plugin before continuing the follw.it plugin as I need the imdb id for each episode to set it as watched in follw.it.

I have created "pre alpha version" of the tvdb import plugin, you can find it here: https://github.com/cjsewell/pms-plugins ... portPlugin
I basically just ripped off the tmdb and imdb plugins. It works, but defiantly needs some more attention. If you get a chance to look at it I would welcome some feedback.
I haven't touched java in a while, but is should work providing you have the dependencies. ( I had to copy commons-lang3-3.1.jar, log4j-1.2.16.jar and thetvdbapi-1.4-SNAPSHOT-r115.jar to the plugins folder )

Let me know how you go

Cheers
cjsewell

Next

Return to Additions and Plugins