Direct Streaming (no transcoding) per file

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Direct Streaming (no transcoding) per file

Postby rantsh » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:21 am

Hi all,

I've been using PS3 Media server for quite a while and for the most part I've been quite happy with it. However, there is one more thing I'd like it to do, for the most part I need some videos to be transcoded because it will include external subtitles on the video itself, yet, there are some particular videos that do not need to be transcoded (I don't need subtitles on these). Basically I need to emulate the option "Skip transcode for the following extentions". I think it would be nice to have an option [maybe?] within the #TRANSCODE# folder, for "videoX.ext 'direct streaming - no transcoding'", just like you can choose which engine to transcode the file with

Thanks for such a great utility,

rantsh
rantsh

Re: Direct Streaming (no transcoding) per file

Postby meskibob » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:47 am

The "No Encoding" option already exists.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby rantsh » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:58 am

meskibob wrote:The "No Encoding" option already exists.

crap! was that always there? I don't think I had seen it on 1.3x (just recently upgraded).

Either way, now I feel like a dumbass :oops:
rantsh

Postby meskibob » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:25 am

It hasn't always been there but should have been well before 1.3x (initial request was viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4258)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby alanduq » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:50 am

Where is the "no encoding" option. I have been trying to find that setting for months. Don't just say it is "there" again, please.
alanduq

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:47 pm

There is no such option in the PMS application itself.
I guess one could add the file extension to the "Transcoding Settings > Common transcode settings > Force transcode for the following extensions", but that would affect all files with that extension - not just one file.

However, you can browse to the "#--TRANSCODE--#" folder on your device (make sure you did not select the option "Navigation/Share Settings > Hide #--TRANSCODE--# Folder in PMS!), then select the folder with the name of your movie and play the no transcoding version.

Hope that helps.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby alanduq » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Yes but I wanted to turn off all transcoding for all files all the time.
alanduq

Postby meskibob » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Add the extensions for your various videos to the "skip transcoding for the following extensions" setting* under the common transcoding settings*.

*I do not remember the exact name or location of the setting, but it should be something like that.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support