ESPN3?

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Re: ESPN3?

Postby infidel » Wed May 30, 2012 9:11 pm

kod wrote:i get an error message "can't open file pms_dbg.zip as archive

Neither one opens up for me either. Can you have another go and this time use 7zip if the dbgpack zip is corrupted again (will look into that problem later).

EDIT: I just tried to replicate your current setup (SHB43, jumpy-0.1.7, dbgpack_020) in win7 and ESPN is working ok here, also dbgpack.

EDIT#2: Reading through the posts at the end of the SHB thread some users seem to be getting 'data corrupted' on the ps3 with SHB-43 (I only have a Sony bluray, no ps3). Maybe try SHB-42 too just for the hell of it.
infidel

Postby kod » Thu May 31, 2012 4:15 am

ESPN is still no go, getting an error "the data is corrupted", it logged error message(s) "...PS3 Media Server-SHB\win32\mencoder.exe has a return code of 1! Maybe an error occured... check the log file"

Ttried [jumpy] Youtube - which played fine (you can see it in the logs), some random song - it was stuttering, I thought it was my bandwidth (3mb down), but tried the video via youtube and it played fine
However when I try HULU - it only plays the infomercial (which is about 30sec) then it pauses and it won't resume. One thing that I notices it that all content has a duration time of 9:59'59. When the infomercial finished i can see other chapters but it wont play it nor will it give any error messages.

This time logs were zipped and verified. Thanks for all your help.
Attachments
debug.zip
(19.61 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
kod

Postby infidel » Thu May 31, 2012 2:35 pm

Now we're getting somewhere (I think :)).

First, you've got a slightly mixed overlay of SHB-42/43 and different jumpys due to installing on top of previous installs. This isn't the actual problem, but just to keep things sane (and substuting "N:" for "C:" in the default paths below in your case of course):

• delete 'C:\Program Files (x86)/PS3MediaServer-SHB' and 'C:\ProgramData\PMS-SHB.'
  • do a fresh install of SHB-43.
  • delete 'plugins\jumpy-0.16.jar' and 'plugins\jumpy\' and then install jumpy-0.1.7
Now the actual fixes. Open up PMS.conf and

• fix the pmsencoder.script.directory path
    pmsencoder.script.directory = C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PS3MediaServer-SHB\\extras\\scripts
  • and add rtmpdump settings (rtmpdump.force is optional)
    rtmpdump.path = extras\\bin\\rtmpdump.exe
    rtmpdump.force = true
Save and restart. (If you want to use SHB-42 instead, same steps as above except also delete 'extras\\scripts\\rtmpdump.groovy', which has an error).

If Hulu is still choking try these addon settings (XBMC > System > Add-ons > Enabled Add-ons > Hulu > Configure > Streaming):
Code: Select all
Default CDN: akamai
Network Pre-Roll: off
Pre-Roll Ads: 0
Trailing Ads: 0
infidel

Postby kod » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:57 am

Performed as instructed I'm on SHB43 with Jumpy-0.1.7 . The only part I wasn't sure where to add the rtmpdump.path = extras\\bin\\rtmpdump.exe
rtmpdump.force = true - as it didn't existed in the PMS.conf - so I added it at the end of it (you'll see in logs)

We are getting one step closer, hulu plays, but ESPN will not...

ESPN - it appears as you can see the play button but then it goes to pause, logs provide more clues:

[cmd.exe] Process cmd.exe has a return code of 1! Maybe an error occured... check the log file

Also, I noticed that PSM was consuming my entire bandwidth, despite the fact that nothing was playing, I had to quit PSM and then it stopped. Not sure why, but I'm only guessing it was attempting to play the ESPN game, but somehow it couldn't display it on the screen? Not sure if this makes sense or not.

Thanks again for your help!
Attachments
debug.zip
(29.58 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
kod

Postby infidel » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:18 am

kod wrote:I'm only guessing it was attempting to play the ESPN game, but somehow it couldn't display it on the screen?

This happened to me for a short while yesterday, but xbmc was also "playing" a blank stream when I tried it so it must have to do with the addon itself or maybe changes to the ESPN server or streams. The problem went away a little later, but just checked again and it's back now. XBMC users have been reporting it too.

EDIT: Streaming via browser isn't working on the ESPN website either, looks like the problem is at their end.
infidel

Postby kod » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:43 pm

I have admit that I didn't try playing via browser or XBMC, but I'll give a try again tonight. If the logs are looking okay then it must of been the service. I'll report any issues.
Once again thanks for all your help!
kod

Postby kod » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:25 am

Same error message:

[cmd.exe] Process cmd.exe has a return code of 1! Maybe an error occured... check the log file

I have not uploaded the log files as nothing has changed since last time. I simply played the ESPN tonight and verified via XBMC and via IE, both worked fine, however PSM failed.

Let me know what else I can do.
kod

Postby infidel » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:37 pm

kod wrote:I have not uploaded the log files as nothing has changed since last time

Your logging level wasn't set to TRACE last time, so debug.log didn't show any details on the error.
infidel

Postby kod » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:44 pm

Uploaded logs - this time with trace on, took two snap shots - hopefully this time you can pin point the issue. And this time I tried playing it via web browser and XBMC.

Also, regarding bandwidth consumption i took some print screens (Zipped/PDF). This is a second, but somehow related problem when ESPN fails to play bandwidth is never released - so this tells me that's still being served somewhere in the background? Only way to stop it is to restart PSM. This explains choppy play back on Hulu, YouTube, etc. I was under the impression that XBMC might be causing this, but I tried playing ESPN via XBMC and stopping it and playing it again, bandwidth was behaving normally, consumed when played and not when stopped/paused

Thanks!
Attachments
bandwidth consumption.zip
(225.82 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
debug 2.zip
(107.84 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
debug.zip
(67.35 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
kod

Postby infidel » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:17 pm

kod wrote:bandwidth is never released - so this tells me that's still being served somewhere in the background?

Your debug.log shows this to be the case, a new instance of rtmpdump is launching every time you click an item but failing to be killed when you press stop. Each instance (judging from its messages) seems to be healthy, connected to espn, and streaming to pms continuously, even after pressing stop. Windows Task manager should show multiple instances of rtmpdump.exe running, which is of course why your bandwidth is getting eaten up (you can kill the process there by right-click, btw, instead of shutting down pms). Failure to kill a subprocess is a longstanding issue with pms (probably rooted in java itself), so I don't know of any fixes. But I agree this is all a separate issue.

The logs seem otherwise normal, and why you don't see anything isn't clear. As I mentioned in my case, whether in ubuntu or Windows, all three methods (espn.com/XBMC/Jumpy) either work or fail together. I've tested multiple times over the past 2 days and haven't yet had a session where jumpy behaved differently from the other two. Once espn.com bumped me claiming my ISP wasn't authorized (I'm on fios as opposed to fios-tv) but later on things were working normally again. I still think that the flakiness is on the espn.com side, they may be tinkering with authorization, etc.

The other possibility is that the underlying rtmpdump/librtmp support, which is different between XBMC and SHB is somehow causing this, but it seems unlikely since I tested on SHB-43 same as you (i.e. we're both using the same version of rtmpdump) and it works for me (intermittently anyway).

The only suggestion I can offer is to comment out rtmpdump.force in PMS.conf with a '#' at the start of the line:
Code: Select all
#rtmpdump.force = true
in which case ffmpeg (with its own built-in librtmp) will get launched instead of standalone rtmpdump and may give you different results bandwidth-wise at least.

kod wrote:took two snap shots

Redundant unless you also restart pms, since the second set of logs include everything in the first set :).

EDIT 1: Another longshot, but you could also try this
  • replace extras\bin\rtmpdump.exe with rtmpdump.exe from here.
  • then enable rtmpdump.force in PMS.conf again and restart pms.

EDIT 2: It's also possible to make PMS-SHB's librtmp support identical to xbmc:
  • first make a backup copy of extras\\bin to simplify undoing this later.
  • replace extras\bin\rtmpdump.exe with the one in here:
    rtmpdump_no_libs.zip
    (18.2 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
  • copy librtmp.dll, libeay32.dll, libssl32.dll from XBMC\system to extras\bin (this will overwrite the existing libeay32.dll).
  • then enable rtmpdump.force in PMS.conf again and restart pms.
infidel

PreviousNext

Return to Additions and Plugins