VDPAU

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

VDPAU

Postby benjp2k1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:29 pm

Hello,

I am running the latest build of PMS and have mencoder/mplayer builds from the PPA with VDPAU support (working: tested with mplayer). I can watch videos in mplayer and take up 1-3% cpu with VDPAU but PMS still takes up 25%+ CPU. Is there any way to enable VDPAU for PMS? I tried adding the switch -vc ffh264vdpau with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: Checked version number: 1.10.5
benjp2k1

Re: VDPAU

Postby shagrath » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:12 am

the vc flag is not used in ps3ms so in theory it should work. But mencoder is used here, not mplayer, so maybe there's something different
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby benjp2k1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:09 am

When I try to use the -vc flag, the stream crashes mentioning an invalid output format. If I try to use the -vo flag with it, I only receive corrupt data on the PS3.

Shagrath, would this be something you might look into adding support for in future builds? Also, is there anywhere that I can find documentation about your code? I would like to take a look at it and see if I can contribute. I haven't used Java since college, but I'm sure I can pick it up again.
benjp2k1

Postby fcuk112 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:54 am

hi sorry to revive an old thread - i followed instructions http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4253 and i get vdpau playback using mplayer/smplayer of 720/1080p mkv files with low cpu utilisation on ubuntu lucid.

when i use PMS i get high cpu utilisation, it doesn't use vdpau. is there now a way to configure PMS now to use vdpau? i am using the latest beta.

my hardware is dual-core 3.4ghz, 2gb ram, nvidia 8400gs.

thanks very much in advance.
fcuk112

Postby ExSport » Thu May 27, 2010 6:03 am

PMS is using MEncoder, not Mplayer so I suppose it doesn't support HW acceleration.
What I know, only Windows MEncoder supports it thanks to Sherpya ;)
ExSport

Postby ERamseth » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Some links:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/men ... 10074.html

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127856

A little outdated, yes, but AFAIK nothing has changed in this arena. I have an AMD Athlon II X4 2.6GHz with 4 cores and using multi-threaded ffmpeg/mencoder/mplayer it can handle the transcode just fine. I have a spare Athlon X2 that I've been meaning to try out as well... I have a feeling it might even be able to handle it.

One thing to note: make sure cpu frequency scaling isn't set for an overly conservative mode. I found on Ubuntu 9.10 stock I had to tweak the settings for ondemand to scale up at 30% usage rather than whatever the default is (I think 95%?) or change it from ondemand to performance mode. On Ubuntu 10.04 stock I haven't found the need for this. I think cpu frequency scaling has improved from 9.10 to 10.04 but I can't quantify exactly what has changed.
ERamseth

Postby malmostoso » Wed May 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Hello everyone, sorry for the necroposting.
I recently upgraded my computer with a VDPAU enabled Nvidia card and I was wondering if someone has figured out how to use VDPAU with Mencoder.

Thanks for any help!
malmostoso

Return to Linux/Unix Support