Error initializing PMS! (Java PB)

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Error initializing PMS! (Java PB)

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:20 am

daboblin wrote:I also cannot find a debug.log file. The latest version that works for me is also 1.50.1.

Your debug.log should be in "/Applications/PS3 Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/", which is a hidden folder that you can open with the Finder's "Go to Folder..." (CMD-SHIFT-G).
Raptor399
Project Member

Answer

Postby ThisMaySuffocate » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm a brand new user trying to start PMS for the first time on Snow Lion with the newest Java patch and newest PMS download (as of 21-Apr-2012), and have the same problem. I found a very similar discussion with the same error message here: http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php? ... 6&start=10

It seems to be caused by conflicting versions of the slf4j api files. So PMS uses a newer one, the System has an older one, and it picks up the System version for some reason. A quick fix is to open up a terminal window and:

cd /System/Library/Java/Extensions
mkdir t
mv slf4j* t

Basically just moving the two slf4j files into a subdirectory so they don't get picked up. This might mess with other Java programs you run that expect those API files to be hanging about... but it hasn't caused any problems for me. PMS started straight up after this.
ThisMaySuffocate

Postby mendoza » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks ThisMaySuffocate, unfortunately this did not work for me...
mendoza

Postby benbyrne » Tue May 01, 2012 2:27 am

Hi I'm experiencing the same problem, version 1.50 is the latest copy that works. Anyone figure anything out yet?
benbyrne

Postby ThisMaySuffocate » Tue May 01, 2012 10:03 am

I had an OS X Java update that gave me the same error message. Again I moved the files as I did in my previous post, and it worked.

Maybe others, if they are having the exact same error message, need to do a search in their file system for other copies of this library that are taking precedence over the ones included in the package.
ThisMaySuffocate

Postby Raptor399 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:45 pm

ThisMaySuffocate wrote:I had an OS X Java update that gave me the same error message. Again I moved the files as I did in my previous post, and it worked.

Maybe others, if they are having the exact same error message, need to do a search in their file system for other copies of this library that are taking precedence over the ones included in the package.

Which version of the slf4j libraries did you remove?
Because maybe we can build PMS with a newer version to avoid problems.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby benbyrne » Wed May 02, 2012 11:12 pm

I can't seem to locate any slf4j libraries at all. Any thoughts?
benbyrne

Postby mendoza » Sun May 13, 2012 10:18 am

You should follow the previous posts, most of them are hidden and the method described to find them worked with me. The problem is, it did not help to solve the problem.
It looks like the problem is linked to these libraries though, the problems also appeared with another java-based media server (Serviio) in the latest stages of development. Yet, still no solution so far... :|
mendoza

Re: Answer

Postby daboblin » Mon May 28, 2012 8:41 am

ThisMaySuffocate wrote:It seems to be caused by conflicting versions of the slf4j api files. So PMS uses a newer one, the System has an older one, and it picks up the System version for some reason. A quick fix is to open up a terminal window and:

cd /System/Library/Java/Extensions
mkdir t
mv slf4j* t

Basically just moving the two slf4j files into a subdirectory so they don't get picked up.

This worked perfectly for me, although in my case the files were in /Library/Java/Extensions and not /System/Library/Java/Extensions.
daboblin

Postby benbyrne » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:12 am

That Fixed it! Thanks Daboblin!
benbyrne

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X Support