1080p stutter

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

1080p stutter

Postby kered1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:38 pm

1- your computer specs (cpu, memory) and the precise server version you're using
2- the network connection you are using for streaming your files (wifi, homeplugs, ethernet 100Mbits, or gigabit)
3- detailed infos on what's not working
4- if you're transcoding some videos, which engine are you using ? (mencoder, avisynth/mencoder, tsmuxer)
5- a debug.log file excerpt, or you can zip the whole file. this file can be found in the application directory, or if you have UAC and Vista activated, likely found in the Windows temp directory

amd 64 x 2 2.20 ghz, 3 gig ram widows vista, ethernet 100Mbits

Trying to stream 1080p preferably with dts but have tried without. Have tried both on my single core and my dual core and even tried hooking up directly between the ps3 and my dual core with a crossover cable. The transcoding buffer cant seem to keep up with the movie. Even if I pause the movie till it is full it eventually runs out. I have tried everything I can think of, I am kind of new to this so I hope it does not seem stupid. I have tried messing with all the settings in the media server to downgrade the quality and lower the bitrate but nothing seems to help. All the 720p tv shows I download work fine even from my single core. But 1080p movies I cant seem to do it. I have spent the last 8 hours trying to figure this out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Other than this, so far I love this program. I should note that these are all mkv files that I am attempting to play.
kered1

Re: 1080p stutter

Postby HKG » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:53 am

I'm assuming that you are using mencoder for the mkv's but you can also try the following (from the Readme section of PSM)

B) Using Avisynth/FFDshow. Paired with CoreAVC, it's quite efficient with multi cores.
1- If not already done, get and install a codec pack with ffdshow (VSfilter must be included for subtitles).
My favorite is CCCP Codec Pack [http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp]
2- Get and install AVISynth 2.5.7 (I've met some framerate problems with 2.5.8 betas)
[http://downloads.sourceforge.net/avisynth2/Avisynth_257.exe?modtime=1168199840&big_mirror=0]
3- Set up the FFDShow Audio Mixer to 5.1 (3/0/2 LFE)
4- Set "Autoload VS Filter" to true
5- Configure Haali Splitter (audio/subtitles language priorities)

Follow the steps and also install a trial version of CoreAVC then try to watch the 1080p mkv's using the Avisynth/Mencoder decoder option, BTW you need to disable H264/AVC in FFDshow so that it uses CoreAVC
HKG

Postby kered1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:39 pm

Still no luck, I am still trying. Any other sugestions. Could my processor be two slow, dual core 2.2ghz. Can anyone validate this for me, it seems like the buffer cant keep up.
kered1

Postby HKG » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:00 pm

My friend had a similar problem to yours, we tried lowering video quality settings all the way and it would still stutter. Turns out he had an old switch that was inhibiting bandwidth. Do you have old networking gear in your LAN?
HKG

Postby kered1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Kind of old, it is a D-Link DI-524. But actually on sunday I tried connecting my laptop directly to the ps3 with a crossover cable and I had the same problem. However it was a fairly long cable 25ft. The laptop also only has a 100mbps ethernet card. So I am still trying to figure out what is the limiting factor. My buffer on the pms can't keep up with playback, so it wouldnt be the network, would it. It is crappy cat 5 cable so I could try a short crossover I guess. The CPU on the comp is around 60-70% when transcoding and the network thingy is at 50%.

PLEASE HELP
kered1

Return to General Help and Support