Sony SMP-N200

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Sony SMP-N200

Postby Ruz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi All,

Just to let you know that I have had some initial success connecting a Sony SMP-N200 to PMS v1.4.0. It doesn't work out of the box, so I copied the SonyBluray.conf file and modified it as follows:
Code: Select all
RendererName=Sony SMP-N200
RendererIcon=sony_bdp.png
UserAgentSearch=
UserAgentAdditionalHeader=X-AV-Client-Info
UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch=Media Player

I called the new file SMPN200.conf, and PMS seems to detect it correctly.

Unfortunately I can't easily test all media formats, since both the device and the server are somewhat remote, but I know basic media playing of images and video works. If I hear reports of media not playing when it should, I will try to tweak the supported formats in the new file and repost. I would also like to tweak the detection string to something a little more specific than Media Player, but again, that will have to wait until I can collect the appropriate info from the logs.

Cheers
Ruz
Ruz

Re: Sony SMP-N200

Postby styro » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:27 am

Hi I saw this post and instead of buying my daughter a new internet capable tv I went out and bought this and installed PMS Media server to her PC and lo and behold, with your edits, it works great! Thanx! I also found out that PMS will stream 2 different tv shows to 2 different tv's at the same time off of the same hard drive. How cool is that! Used a lot of resources on my pc, that is why i'm using hers as well.
styro

Postby MakDaddy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:27 am

Can you post the file? I don't know how to make the conf file but I really would like to stream to my sony media player
MakDaddy

Postby Raptor399 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:41 pm

MakDaddy wrote:Can you post the file? I don't know how to make the conf file but I really would like to stream to my sony media player

Creating a .conf file from scratch is described in the FAQ.

But in this case, find the "renderers" directory in the PMS program directory and open the file "SonyBluray.conf" in an editor.
Then modify it as described by the original poster and save the file. Finally, restart PMS and you should be up and running!
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby DubbelX » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:27 pm

MakDaddy wrote:Can you post the file? I don't know how to make the conf file but I really would like to stream to my sony media player

I'm testing this file.

good luck
Attachments
SMP.zip
(17.11 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
KDL-40HX720/UPC CI+ | CMU-BR100 | TDG-BR250 | BDV-E370 | KDL-26EX302/UPC CI+ | SMP-N200 | DAV-DZ260 | Playstation 3 | Universal MediaServer 1.2.0 | Tablet S 16 GB 3G | SGP-DS1 | Slingbox Solo
DubbelX

Can't play divx with Sony SMP-N200

Postby maxpower » Mon May 28, 2012 11:15 pm

So far I've only tried to stream MKV and DIVX files. MKVs work fine but the Sony device tells me that the DIVX file is corrupt or unsupported.
maxpower

Postby nicewall » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:34 pm

This somewhat works for me. Transcoding doesn't seem to work and I'm playing around with the settings.

RendererName = Sony SMP-N200
RendererIcon = C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PS3 Media Server MLX\\SMP-N200.png
UserAgentSearch = notusedhere
UserAgentAdditionalHeader = X-AV-Client-Info
UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch = Media Player

Video = true
Audio = true
Image = true
SeekByTime=false
MediaInfo = false
ForceJPGThumbnails = false

ChunkedTransfer = true
AutoExifRotate = true
TranscodeVideo=MPEGTSAC3
TranscodeAudio=LPCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=false
MuxDTSToMpeg=false
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
H264Level41Limited=true
DLNALocalizationRequired=true
MediaParserV2_ThumbnailGeneration=false
ForceJPGThumbnails=true

StreamExtensions = m4v,mp4,mpg,mpeg,ts,vob
nicewall

Cant see video length bar or ff or rw

Postby soniccool » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:38 pm

I am using a SMP N200 to play back my movies. I have switched from Serviio because it just never recongizes the device but this is working great. The only thing is that i cant see a time bar for the videos i play back or fast forward or rewind? Is there an option for this or anything to do with buffering or how this software handles it?

Thanks!
soniccool

Re: Cant see video length bar or ff or rw

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:28 am

soniccool wrote:The only thing is that i cant see a time bar for the videos i play back or fast forward or rewind? Is there an option for this or anything to do with buffering or how this software handles it?

This has to do with how transcoding works. When transcoding a file, PMS does not know what size the resulting output will be. It just passes on the bytes as they are being transcoded, not knowing if more are going to follow.

As a result, your SMP N200 cannot tell whether you are at the start or halfway the video.

The same more or less applies for rewinding and fast forwarding: it is near impossible for PMS to determine where exactly to jump back or ahead in the stream of bytes it is sending because the actual transcoding is done by an external engine, not by PMS itself. So fast forwarding transcoded files won't work at all, and rewinding will work lousy.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:41 am

nicewall wrote:This somewhat works for me. Transcoding doesn't seem to work and I'm playing around with the settings.

RendererName = Sony SMP-N200
RendererIcon = C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PS3 Media Server MLX\\SMP-N200.png
UserAgentSearch = notusedhere
UserAgentAdditionalHeader = X-AV-Client-Info
UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch = Media Player

Video = true
Audio = true
Image = true
SeekByTime=false
MediaInfo = false
ForceJPGThumbnails = false

ChunkedTransfer = true
AutoExifRotate = true
TranscodeVideo=MPEGTSAC3
TranscodeAudio=LPCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=false
MuxDTSToMpeg=false
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
H264Level41Limited=true
DLNALocalizationRequired=true
MediaParserV2_ThumbnailGeneration=false
ForceJPGThumbnails=true

StreamExtensions = m4v,mp4,mpg,mpeg,ts,vob

Thanks for posting!

The "UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch" value is a bit too general for my taste, though.
It will match the SMP N100 as well.

I'm curious about the difference in headers between the SMP N100 and the SMP N200.

Can anyone provide me with the actual headers that the SMP N200 is sending?

You can do this by making the device unknown (temporarily rename the working "SMP-N200.conf" to "SMP-N200.conf.bak") and try to connect to it. PMS will log the actual headers being sent.
Raptor399
Project Member

Return to Alternative Media Renderers