Web Configuration

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Re: Web Configuration

Postby whome » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:47 pm

+1 vote: Having webbrowser based configuration instead of standalone swing UI should make UI layout and design tasks easier most of the people. Splitting a work dueties between a hardcore backend and UI layout issues, we have more html wizards than Swing ui wizards. And to be honest its where all apps go...the web2.0 and whatnot.

Big big bonus to access configuration changes from the PS3 web browser free of charge, or my cellphone wlan connection.

My own agenda is wish we had Tomcat or Jetty servlet/jsp engine backend for UI configuration, I could run YleAreena, Youtube, GoogleVideo converter in a very same servlet engine.
whome

Postby whome » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:11 am

PS3MS has an internal http service in 5001 port. I found out it does not serve localhost/127.0.0.1 loopback but must explicitly give an ip. Indicates to me it does not bind itself to all ips. Webpage has nothing more than a compact media library action.
http://192.168.0.123:5001/console/

Jetty .jsp/servlet is an interesting one, its very small and embeddable still giving servlet/.jsp support. We could quite easily build a nice HTML ui screens and be accessible using PS3 browser at runtime. Very important issue if we run service in a basement home server. Another good one is Tomcat but its not as embeddable module.

I have videosites to PS3MS rss converter project. It's a .war webapp package. We had an internal Jetty/Tomcat engine could install 3rd party modules right into the PS3MS server.

This is where I would like us to forward PS3MS GUI, away from fat Swing/SWT UI to web application. I even could use my cellphone to admin dlna service.
whome

Postby WorldOfHurt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:00 pm

Just my 2 cents on servletizing this app... take it or leave it ;)

Keep the PMS service/daemon configuration via beans, and create an admin listener on a well-known port. Then a separate admin server can be created, running inside or outside of a servlet container, and connect to the PMS service via the well-known port to send the admin commands. The protocol can be as simple or as complex as you like, but my preference would be SOAP WS.

Then your choice of servlet container becomes moot: release a war for those of us that use Tomcat on their server, and package a jetty distro if you want the rest of the known universe to be able to run it. In either case, the PMS service will still be a daemon/service that does the heavy lifting, while the (new) admin service can be a separate entity not heavily coupled to the main codebase.

It would also allow lightweight alternatives to this heavyweight servlet admin service, using a scripting language or whatever, as long as the admin port API was well defined.

Encapsulated, loosely-coupled, and customisable. Like all the best Java :D
WorldOfHurt

Postby archy121 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:24 am

ADD My vote for PS3Media web based admin !

I hope to get Linux PS3Media installed on WD's My Book World Edition - Than with Web admin all will be sweet.

Thanks for the already Fantastic of software posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=24#
archy121

Postby Gussi » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:03 pm

And I'll also vote for it, this feature would be greatly appreciated!
Gussi

Postby bogphanny » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:48 pm

If no one is actively working on a web interface for PMS, I'd be happy to start on it myself.
bogphanny

Postby WorldOfHurt » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:09 pm

bogphanny wrote:If no one is actively working on a web interface for PMS, I'd be happy to start on it myself.

What's needed first is an internal API for accessing and editing the configuration data. Once that is in place, and stable, it should be childs play to add any number of web interfaces over it.

I don't think it's top priority at the moment though...

Glad to see there are people willing to do the hard work though - kudos for that.
WorldOfHurt

Postby moshjahan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:06 am

Yes, a web UI for some of the common options that we all change now and again would be great. I also have the problem of running up and down stairs :) and also one of my servers is virtualized so I'd like to not have to RDP to it each time.

The most obvious candidate for web UI for me are:

o Managing the media content folder paths in PMS (add/remove/sort order)
o AC-3 audio transcoding bit rate
o An option to force a re-announce of the available contents.

If it is possible, it would be even better to have a RESTful API to the web UI backend so that if advanced users wanted to we could build our own interfaces. Nearly every component of my home theater system is IP enabled, including the plasma display, and soon the AV processor also. I'm looking to build a single of pane of glass type UI to the entire system.
moshjahan

Postby bogphanny » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:06 am

I have written a JSON-RPC interface which exposes the methods of net.pms.configuration.PmsConfiguration (delivered to the client in the form of an SMD)

This makes writing a client extremely simple using a JS framework like Dojo, as reading/modifying the config can be achieved such as in the following example:

Code: Select all
// Create new JSON-RPC instance using the SMD provided
var pmsRpc = new dojox.rpc.Service("/jsonrpc/smd");

// Run getShares method remotely and log the results to console.
pmsRpc.getShares().addCallback(function(r) {
  console.log(r.responseData.results);
});

I need to point out that I'm not fluent with Java, so the RPC interface would best be checked over / re-written by someone more knowledgeable than I.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a functional config page, which once completed, I'll report back to get some willing people to try it out. :)
bogphanny

Postby whome » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:28 am

Basic ideas was/is to create a webUI that can be used from PC browsers _and_ PS3 browsers. I have not tried, but do Ajax js libraries work fine in PS3 webbrowser?
whome

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Suggestions