Folder list not refreshing timestamps

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Folder list not refreshing timestamps

Postby syth » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:45 am

I have a folder for my TV shows, and when a new show gets saved to the drive it is copied to .../TV/<showname>/show.mkv

All of this works great with PMS, except that the <showname> folder doesn't seem to updated its timestamp for sorting. Since I have it setup to show everything in date order so that I see new shows as they arrive, this is kind of annoying.

For example, tonight I recorded Raising Hope, but after it had been copied into the raising hope folder, I had to scan down through the list of folders, through an entire week's worth of shows, to find the Raising Hope folder and then the new episode was available. What I want is for the Raising Hope folder to be listed first based on it having the newest date.

Hopefully I explained this well enough.
syth

Re: Folder list not refreshing timestamps

Postby syth » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:47 pm

To be clear, the ACTUAL timestamps are getting set when new content is copied in, it is simply that PMS does not seem to refresh the sort order unless it is relaunched.
syth

Postby meskibob » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:13 pm

As you have seen, new material is added to the bottom of the content list and resorted on PMS restart. I believe this is due to a limitation with DLNA and not mixing up folder/file IDs so things are properly referenced between the server and client (a dev should be able to better answer this). Unfortunately I don't see this getting fixed, so you're probably better off using the "Restart HTTP Server" utility from the #Video Settings# folder. This would at least save you from having to go to the PC to restart PMS.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Raptor399 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:32 pm

Meskibob's right. PMS builds a folder list by giving every entry a unique (ascending) id. These ids are never updated unless the folder list is rebuilt from scratch.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby taconaut » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:40 pm

With pms-mlx, when this happens, the list shown on the renderer is being compared with the one where pms runs, all files starting from the first being different are being removed and the required ones added. It would be pretty easy to do this by default, but.. The downside is it can take a while (minutes in the worst case) to refresh the content.
It would be great if files could be inserted, but I couldn't figure out if it was possible.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby syth » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:45 am

OK, how about a Serviio like "recent items" folder that is updated? Maybe not limited to 10 items though (configurable would be great, but at least 20 would suit my purposes very well).

I will look at the #Video Settings# folder and see if that solves the problem.

While I am here. is there a decent DLNA client for iOS?
syth

Postby taconaut » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 am

syth wrote:OK, how about a Serviio like "recent items" folder that is updated? Maybe not limited to 10 items though (configurable would be great, but at least 20 would suit my purposes very well).

Have you given pms-mlx a try? You can do what you want with it.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Return to Mac OS X Support