Plugin devlopers

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Plugin devlopers

Postby SharkHunter » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi,

This is a message mostly to those people of you who makes plugins. If you think you've made the best plugin of all times but the users just don't seems to get it. Maybe it is too complicated to install (not your fault of course you've mad cristal clear instructions). And making a complete install package/build seems a bit too complicated/time consuming, then the SHB might be there to assist you. SHB aims to be a all in one build where the user don't need to fiddle with conf files etc. after install. It should "just" work (which it of course doesn't from time to time but don't tell anyone). If you would like your plugin in an SHB release pls give me a note with instructions of what to install, what conf options that should be set etc. etc. and I'll integrate it to SHB for you. Note that SHB cotains both perl and python so if you need to use any of those pls inform me if you upgrade any libs in those so we can upgrade those as well.

If you think this is crap don't send me a note :)

Oh last thing name your jar files xxx.jar rather than xxx-v1.v2.v3.jar since git doesn't thinks that the latter is a new file rather than a new version of the same file...

/SharkHunter
SharkHunter

Re: Plugin devlopers

Postby infidel » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:54 pm

First mucho thanks for SHB and its open door policy of which jumpy is a prime beneficiary, being as you say one of the "complicated" installs which likely induces much ship-jumping by would-be travellers.

SharkHunter wrote:Oh last thing name your jar files xxx.jar rather than xxx-v1.v2.v3.jar since git doesn't thinks that the latter is a new file rather than a new version of the same file...

It turns out (as usual) that somewhere under the rocks there's a git command for everything under the sun. I just stumbled over

Code: Select all
# stage all deleted files for removal and all new files for inclusion
git add -A

which if run from inside the SHB plugins folder would update git to that directory's current state (including any subfolders) in one fell swoop (to be followed by a commit, of course). For a dry-run preview of the command's effects without changing anything:

Code: Select all
git add -n -A

This way the specific jar names don't matter and the time-honored naming conventions can continue without causing you too much additional grief.

It looks like it would work in theory, anyway :).
infidel

Postby SharkHunter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:52 pm

infidel - i'm not surprised that git can solve the problem. But the lazy hacker behind the kbd can't. When I first installs a new plugin I drop it in plugins. And if a new version comes out I drop that one in plugins too. And the PMS thinks it's so cool that it has tow plugin (called xxx-a and xxx-b). And since I always forget to delete the old version first it takes me ages to figure out why stuff didn't work...
(I tried to blame git I thought I was smart ;))
SharkHunter

Postby infidel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:21 pm

SharkHunter wrote: I thought I was smart ;)

This is my main problem too, but there's no git command to fix it alas ;).
infidel

Return to Additions and Plugins