Use VLC as default video engine?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Use VLC as default video engine?

Postby The Hero Of Canton » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:23 am

I have a question about the possibility of setting VLC as an option for the Video Files Engine. First, let me explain what I'm trying to attempt.

I have a few DVDs as .iso images that I can play in both VLC and via PS3MS (thank you for this, btw.). I can also switch the .iso extension to .mpg, and VLC and PS3MS can read them no problem. The issue is that on PS3MS using MEncoder as the default engine quickly flips through the menu screen of the .mpg file, and starts playing the movie. VLC does not do this. It allows the menu screen to come up, and you can select chapters, etc. These files do not require any transcoding, so they can be streamed directly to the device (I'm currently playing them on my PC). So I'm wondering if the same results can be achieved on PS3MS with using VLC, instead of MEncoder.

Even if it can, I think the next stumbling block may be that the PS3 BD Remote and/or the controllers won't be properly able to move up/down etc to select different items on the video menu. Anyway, I was looking to see if anyone had any input to this.

Thanks for this great program, and thanks for your responses.
The Hero Of Canton

Re: Use VLC as default video engine?

Postby meskibob » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:42 am

The DLNA specification would need to be updated to support chapters, menus, and other DVD functionality with streamed media. Until then, I don't think there's anything you can do.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: Use VLC as default video engine?

Postby jeff_rigby » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:40 pm

This would appear to be a logical addition to the DLNA standard. LINUX MCE supports this within it's server client system. Of course it is not a DLNA system.
Support for this would require the served to support this feature. Copyright issues?

What is supported is the FF and others which I am not aware. These are not supported properly (NOT the Java wrapper authors fault). Could this be used to chapter forward?

Excuse me if I make assumptions. While I understand processes I do not yet have enough understanding of the protocols.
jeff_rigby

Return to General Help and Support