New server configuration questions

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

New server configuration questions

Postby Mobias1313 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:37 am

So I am looking to configure my new server tomorrow. I will have it hard wired on a gigabit network and can bridge two gigabit connections if needed. My goal is to have the highest quality playback I can. I am serving to a ps3 on wireless n, a Samsung 3d blurray player wired on gigabit, and a insignia blurray player on wireless n. my server specs are as follows:

Qx9650 quad core 3.0ghz 12mb l2 cache 1333fsb
8gb ddr2 800mhz
3x 500gb sata2 7200rpm
5x 2tb sata2 5900rpm
Nvidia gtx 550 ti

All files being served are mkv, ts, mp4, or m2ts. My goal is to serve sbs 3d signals to the Samsung player and 720p and 1080p signals to everything. I assume my system specs should be plenty for transcoding. Any recommendations there are appreciated. Thanks.
Mobias1313

Re: New server configuration questions

Postby Val Killmore » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:54 am

N wifi will not benefit you with the PS3. It can only run G wifi, and to top it off, it has one of the worst wifi adapters out there. Generally, you will be lucky if you get a thruput of 20+ Mbps. If you want to truly watch HD media on your PS3, even more if you decide to feed it 3D material, I suggest doing what you can to make it a wired setup either by moving equipment, getting some kind of N wireless bridge with 100 or 1000 mbps ethernet ports, or some kind of home plug setup ( the latter two can even be iffy in my experience, wired is much better ).
There is also something like one of these N adapters. This one is only an example. It allows you to take advantage of being wireless if needed, increasing your capabilities as far as from G to N wireless, and then takes advantage of the ethernet adapter on the PS3. Several models/brands online to choose from, just posted first one come up on search.
That's what I would do in your situation. Perhaps you will have more luck with wireless, but most people I have tried setting up eventually go wired to save the headache.

You can manipulate bandwidth and video quality settings to try to make HD video work with wifi G to the PS3, but you will most likely be disappointed and/or frustrated.

I can't speak on your other wireless device. If it actually has N capabilities, you should be able to make it work.

Power plant wise, you got a nice set up though. :)
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby Mobias1313 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks for the input. I couldn't remember if the ps3 supported n or not. I don't plan on serving 3d to it :D though as its on a non 3d TV. Right now I am limited to only using wifi on it do to its location in my house but I would like to run it wired at some point. Any suggestions on what to use for transcoding? Is is at all possible to serve dts-hd master audio or Dolby true-hd? My receiver decodes both.
Mobias1313

Postby Val Killmore » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:48 pm

As far as I understand, PMS handles DTS core from DTS-MA (don't quite understand fully) :? . PMS doesn't handle True-HD though. Unless things have changed in versions more recent than the one I use.

As far as your PS3 and it using the built-in wifi. I can only suggest you try to use muxing as often as possible. Either by:

1) selecting tsMuxer as your primary engine by moving it to the top of the list in the white panel box on the GUI.
2) manually seletcting a tsMuxer option from the #transcode# folder
3) leaving MEncoder as primary engine, but also ensuring "remux using tsmuxer........" or "switch to tsmuxer.........." option is enabled (ticked)(it is named different in different PMS versions).

Or try and keep your files in PS3 friendly formats if possible to reduce the need for transcoding/remuxing. Or as I posted earlier, get yourself a newtork device that can get you off using the crappy built in wifi adapter.

If full video transcoding is needed, and you will run into it eventually , then you can set values for bandwidth limiting, and values for your 'expected' video quality settings to try and squeeze a stream to your PS3. But in my experience, it is painful and barely ever really helps.
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby Mobias1313 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:44 am

Thanks for the information. I am looking into CoreAVC right now to utilize CUDA for transcoding. I will be setting up my server in a little bit so hopefully it all works out the way I want. Any other suggestions feel free to throw them my way.
Mobias1313

Postby Val Killmore » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:53 am

Why CUDA? I can play nearly everything with my lowly laptop using MEncoder, tsMuxer or a combination of the two. You shouldn't have any problems as far as processing power. Trying to use tsMuxer is much more network friendly than forcing transcode all the time. MPeg2 is highly inefficient as far as HD video, where as using tsMuxer will keep the bandwidth demands down as it repackages the much more efficient AVC codec......and you lose no video quality muxing.

Personally, I wouldn't bother if I was you, but it's all your call of course.

Just get it up and running, and post any inquiries. You should be able to find some help with issues if they pop up.
Val Killmore

Postby Mobias1313 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:13 am

I thought about using CUDA because I have it available. My server is used solely for media so the graphics power serves little purpose. I use remote desktop connection to manage the server. I have the server running without CoreAVC right now, I wanted to try without first, and so far I am having zero issues even when I have to transcode. I was able to send a 1080p mkv that I ripped from one of my blurays and it played flawlessly. My 720p tv shows worked great as well so I am very happy. I will probably try some more stuff tomorrow and maybe tweak a bit. Is there any reason I definitely should get CoreAVC? I don't mind spending the $12 if it will really be beneficial. But if I really don't need it then I say why bother.
Mobias1313

Postby Val Killmore » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:29 pm

If everything is fine, I would leave it. I was just pointing out the fact that powerwise you should be fine, and that MEncoder generally works fine out the box, or with minor tweaks. I find AviSynth and ffmpeg pains in the arse to deal with myself :evil:

But, like ya said, it's only 12$. And you can always leave all engines available and prioritize MEncoder back to the top if you find it easier to deal with.

Again, your call.
Val Killmore

Postby Mobias1313 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:18 am

I just did an overhaul on my server and everything is running better than ever. I changed out most of the components and now I don't even see 100% cpu usage.
New Specs:
Core i7 930 @2.93ghz x8
12gb DDR3 at 1333mhz
New mainboard
Added 2x 2TB SATA3 64mb Cache
Mobias1313

Return to General Discussion