File system improvement

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Re: File system improvement

Postby taconaut » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:45 am

Ahhh now I get what you mean. Don't think I'm going to go this way, as most of the work has already been done. I've attached the DB schema I'm using. Some fields are still wrong (e.g. Orientation has nothing to do in the video table).
Usually I also code c# :)
Attachments
db.png
Media Library DB schema
db.png (62.94 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: File system improvement

Postby loraderon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:13 pm

I see.

The most important part is to actually support a Media Library. Keep on the great work, it's highly appreciated!

You said that your are not to happy about the method for populating the db, maybe this is a great place to introduce another type of plugin/scraper?
Then you could ship a default plugin/scraper that can easily be updated/replaced.

This is just a suggestion.

Otherwise I'll probably just create a custom utility for importing XBMC library data into your newly developed media library (writing to the db directly).
loraderon
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:16 am

Re: File system improvement

Postby taconaut » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:47 pm

loraderon wrote:You said that your are not to happy about the method for populating the db, maybe this is a great place to introduce another type of plugin/scraper?
Then you could ship a default plugin/scraper that can easily be updated/replaced..

That's what's planned, but for now no interface is defined and no reflection is used to load such a plugin dynamically. We''ll see if it will make it into the first beta; there are so many things I'd like to see in there
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: File system improvement

Postby rakosnicek » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:58 pm

I rather dislike the idea of needing to use IMDB to gather the required information. For instance, I may have saved the movie in a file that is named according to my own method or in my own language and neither of which cause the right information to be returned from an IMDB query.

For audio, what about using MP3 tag information contained in the file(s) to build the information store in the database rather than using an online database?

And along those lines, what are the chances of seeing this feature first delivered as a "beta" for audio whilst a method to implement the same for video is decided upon?
rakosnicek
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: File system improvement

Postby taconaut » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:43 pm

You aren't forced to use anything (e.g. imdb). The plugin system to import data can import data from anywhere; currently only online sources (imdb and tmdb) exist. Plugins can be developed, which receive a name (which is being deduced from the file name) and the absolute path of the file with which it can import the data. It could use the file itself to import metadata from mkvs or id3 tags from mp3s; I haven't thought of a use case which wouldn't be covered by the plugin system.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: File system improvement

Postby rakosnicek » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 pm

taconaut wrote:You aren't forced to use anything (e.g. imdb). The plugin system to import data can import data from anywhere; currently only online sources (imdb and tmdb) exist. Plugins can be developed, which receive a name (which is being deduced from the file name) and the absolute path of the file with which it can import the data. It could use the file itself to import metadata from mkvs or id3 tags from mp3s; I haven't thought of a use case which wouldn't be covered by the plugin system.


I think the reading existing files for information should take first priority.

I don't really want to tell Amazon (they own IMDB) every time this plugin runs and needs new data.
rakosnicek
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: File system improvement

Postby taconaut » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:10 pm

That's up to you ;) it's fully configurable
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: File system improvement

Postby rakosnicek » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Ok, just let us know when there are plugins available for using the information in the files rather than from the internet, ok?
rakosnicek
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: File system improvement

Postby chocolateboy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:22 pm

rakosnicek wrote:I don't really want to tell Amazon (they own IMDB) every time this plugin runs and needs new data.


The IMDb API plugin does not contact IMDb.
chocolateboy
Project Member
 
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:05 am

Re: File system improvement

Postby taconaut » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:27 pm

chocolateboy wrote:
rakosnicek wrote:I don't really want to tell Amazon (they own IMDB) every time this plugin runs and needs new data.


The IMDb API plugin does not contact IMDb.

Good point :)
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Switzerland

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests