visuals when playing mp3s

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

visuals when playing mp3s

Postby lufkin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:37 am

was wondering if it were possible to choose custom visualizations when playing music, the default ones are poor, could this be implemented in anyway?
lufkin

Re: visuals when playing mp3s

Postby WorldOfHurt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:40 am

You mean when using the PS3 as the renderer?

No. The visuals are PS3-generated. Unless Sony change the visualisation software, you cannot change them.
WorldOfHurt

Postby lufkin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:25 am

yeah i was wondering, could be rendered by the ps3server and say we select video instead or something when playing mp3s
lufkin

Postby BruceBanner » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:31 pm

I agree, i would love to be using milkdrop visualization (standard default one in winamp) when using the ps3.
BruceBanner

Postby meztizo_kid » Wed May 25, 2011 3:22 am

I agree as well. It would be Milkdrop or even G-Force (www.soundspectrum.com). Here's a sample video of this plugin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWB7Wy3USaM). I would love a work around, from having to build an HTPC but I think coupling this with the PS3 would be a good idea.
meztizo_kid

Postby gordoncanada » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:51 pm

Hello,
I have been lamenting the lack of variety in visualizations in the PS3 for years now. I see others have too. One way around it came out in 2009 called DisplayShare. Once installed, this software would put an icon in the PS3 menu which would play on the tv whatever was playing on the desktop. That way it would be possible to watch all those computer visualizations we don't use anymore on our computers. I just found Displayshare, but the people who made it went out of business. They charged fifty bucks for the program, but I would have purchased it. One link is here:

http://download.cnet.com/DisplayShare/3 ... 08740.html

There is "theoretically" another way to stream your desktop to the PS3 using VLC, but I can't figure it out.

http://alenblog.wordpress.com/2011/04/2 ... y-and-vlc/

I'm one of those guys who will pay someone else to come up with a SIMPLE end-user solution for me. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there software like Displayshare out there somewhere? Would the developers of PS3 server build something like it for a donation? Is anyone else willing to pay to see more variation in the visualizations when listening to music over the PS3 on their televisions?

Thanks, Gordoncanada
gordoncanada

Postby rakosnicek » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:50 pm

Essentially what this means is transcoding MP3 (or whatever your audio is) into video of some description by way of generating a video stream of data and adding the audio to it. That sounds like a rather heavy task.
rakosnicek

Postby gordoncanada » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:54 am

The only way I can think of to do this is to play the music on the computer, using whatever visuals are desired, and to have an option to stream the desktop to the PS3. You would have to control playback from the computer, but it would be worth it.
gordoncanada
gordoncanada

Return to Feature Suggestions