tsmuxer available in ps3 mediaserver for os x?

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

tsmuxer available in ps3 mediaserver for os x?

Postby sal_peezy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:37 pm

After adjusting the maximum bandwidth and video quality settings, I was able to stream a transcoded 720p .mkv from my Mac (connected wirelessly to my network) to my ps3 without stuttering, albeit at a reduced quality using the MEncoder engine. As a test, I loaded the same .mkv file and the PS3 Media Server onto a PC wired to my local network and streamed it to my PS3 with the highest quality settings using the TsMuxer engine and it looked great...much better than it looked streaming from my Mac.

So I guess my question is, is the TsMuxer engine only available in the windows version of PS3 Media Server? I'd much rather stream my files from my Mac to the PS3 and not load all my files on my windows box to achieve the highest quality stream of 720p .mkv files. Alternatively, am I not able to stream in the highest quality from my Mac because I'm connected to my network wirelessly? From what I've been reading, my rig seems more than capable to transcode and stream 720p .mkv files (2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB ram, running OS 10.5.6).
sal_peezy

Re: tsmuxer available in ps3 mediaserver for os x?

Postby Redlum » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:26 pm

Unfortunately tsmuxer is only available for Windows and Linux. Since it's closed source there is not much we can do about this.
Redlum
Project Member

Postby B4tm4n » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:00 pm

PMS and tsMuxer will run under wine so you can run the windows version on OS X without installing windows.
I use crossover on my mac to run PMS, so I can use tsMuxer to transcode.
B4tm4n

Postby sal_peezy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:37 pm

Redlum wrote:Unfortunately tsmuxer is only available for Windows and Linux. Since it's closed source there is not much we can do about this.

Yeah, I king of figured that was the case. It's a shame becasuse the tsMuxer was transcoding those .mkv files like with ease and they looked great.I guess I can live with Mencoder and a slightly reduced quality.

B4tm4n wrote:PMS and tsMuxer will run under wine so you can run the windows version on OS X without installing windows.I use crossover on my mac to run PMS, so I can use tsMuxer to transcode.

This could be interesting. Dowloading the trail version of Crossover right now to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!
sal_peezy

Postby Cujis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:38 am

Did you guys actually get this "crossover trick" to work? I installed crossover and windows PMS. Intallation went just fine and PMS is running nicely. I can play divx files and also avi files with mencoder.
When I try to play .mkv files I just get a black screen on my tv and the transcoding buffer on my PMS does not fill up. It actually shows minus xxx kilobytes...
The same behaviour reproduces with mencoder as well as with tsmuxer.

I figured that since transcoding is pretty heavy operation this might be a performance issue of crossover's "windows emulation"... Or is there something that I´m doing wrong? Any optimization tricks to crossover or PMS?

Thanks and cheers.
Cujis

Postby B4tm4n » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 am

Cujis wrote:Did you guys actually get this "crossover trick" to work? I installed crossover and windows PMS. Intallation went just fine and PMS is running nicely. I can play divx files and also avi files with mencoder.
When I try to play .mkv files I just get a black screen on my tv and the transcoding buffer on my PMS does not fill up. It actually shows minus xxx kilobytes...

I figured that since transcoding is pretty heavy operation this might be a performance issue of crossover's "windows emulation"... Or is there something that I´m doing wrong? Any optimization tricks to crossover or PMS?

Thanks and cheers.

Mkv stopped working with PMS about v1.09 with crossover, but tsmuxer is available now in OS X so no need for crossover.

I think this is the latest beta build for OS X.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=914&start=20#p5392
B4tm4n

Postby Cujis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:02 am

That´s great news! Thanks for the help.
Cujis

Postby Fallen23 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:18 pm

B4tm4n wrote:
Cujis wrote:Did you guys actually get this "crossover trick" to work? I installed crossover and windows PMS. Intallation went just fine and PMS is running nicely. I can play divx files and also avi files with mencoder.

Thanks and cheers.

Mkv stopped working with PMS about v1.09 with crossover, but tsmuxer is available now in OS X so no need for crossover.

I think this is the latest beta build for OS X.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=914&start=20#p5392

I was about to say that, TS_Muxer is available for OS-X here:

http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html
'But I don’t want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can’t help that,' said the Cat. 'We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.'
'How do you know I’m mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,' said the Cat 'Or you wouldn’t have come here.'
Fallen23

Return to Mac OS X Support