Test maximum Wifi speed

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Test maximum Wifi speed

Postby d0000h » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:47 am

What's the best way to test my maximum (maintained) wifi speed between my PC and PS3?

Still trying to trouble shoot why PMS works great one day and then stuttering the next (or great 1 hour and then stuttering the next). Still not sure if it's the router, PMS or PS3. Even when playing the same movie it will work great once and then the next time might not play. I paused an avi today for 30secs (after watching without issue for 45mins) and then I could never get it to play again without stuttering right after unpausing even tried to close and reopen, and then force transcode etc.

Anyway I would like to find out my max wifi speed as part of my troubleshooting. Thx.

-Deuce-
d0000h

Re: Test maximum Wifi speed

Postby birdie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:55 am

To find out my WiFi speed i just start copying a big movie file (MKV without subs so no transcoding is in the way) from the pc to my Ps3.
Then i move over to my pc and start task manager.
Choose the network tab and there you can see the speed of your pc network connection.
I have used this method to find the perfect place for my accesspoint since its located in my basement and i have all kind of things that interfer with the signal.
birdie

Postby d0000h » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:06 pm

Thx will try. On your PS3 under network settings you can see your real time signal strength %. Do you find that the best place is just the spot which give the highest signal strength, or not necessarily because of "interference"?

Edit: Looks like I can get a steady 16.5-17Mps now.
Two things I found/did:

1) I had a tall memory card reader on my desk around 6 inches from my router. Though it didn't effect the signal strength or SNR very much it certainly seems to effect data speeds. The rate/mode of the router is a solid 54Mbps when I move the reader and it bounces from 24/36/48mbps when it is moved back to its original position.

2) I turned on Frame Burst in my router configuration. Don't know for sure if this helped because I know #1 was the main issue.
("Frame Burst - The default value is Disabled. Frame burst allows packet bursting which will increase overall network speed though this is only recommended for approx 1-3 wireless clients, Anymore clients and there can be a negative result and throughput will be affected.")

-Deuce-
d0000h

Postby Konceptz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:49 pm

birdie wrote:To find out my WiFi speed i just start copying a big movie file (MKV without subs so no transcoding is in the way) from the pc to my Ps3.
Then i move over to my pc and start task manager.
Choose the network tab and there you can see the speed of your pc network connection.
I have used this method to find the perfect place for my accesspoint since its located in my basement and i have all kind of things that interfer with the signal.

Thats not going to provide accurate results as copy files to the PS3 no matter what source is always slow. I would recommend streaming a HD quality video file to your PC and experiment with bandwidth settings in the media server to see what gives the best playback and then press select on the PS3 controller while watching the vid to see the bandwidth.
Konceptz

Postby d0000h » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Konceptz wrote:Thats not going to provide accurate results as copy files to the PS3 no matter what source is always slow. I would recommend streaming a HD quality video file to your PC and experiment with bandwidth settings in the media server to see what gives the best playback and then press select on the PS3 controller while watching the vid to see the bandwidth.

Hmm, always slow? Do you know why? I guess the problem with streaming a movie and looking is that the bitrate is always changing and would be hard to draw conclusions about data speeds.

FYI as mentioned I got 16.5mbps copying a file and can support a 720p movie transcoded with at the bitrate labeled "good" on the pull down list. (sorry I'm not at home to confirm what settings "good" is set to).

-Deuce-
d0000h

Postby psychobilly » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:49 am

I came on with a similar question. I was trying to stream a 720p vid and am having some stuttering problems with every setting i try. Admittedly I don't know what I'm doing. But playing around i noticed some things....when i hit select on the ps3 and got the screen to show Mbps....whenever it would get above 10, i would get my stutter. No matter what setting i had it on.

While i'm on here, i might as well post all my other crap to see if i can get some help.

My Wireless connection status in my windows properties always says 54Mbps. Why is it that when streaming, i can only utilize 20% of that before things get stuttery.

I'm running 32 bit Vista Home Basic on an Intel Core 2 Duo T7300@2.0ghz with 2gb ram.

When i'm streaming, my network seems maxed out but my cpu % never seems to get above 5% or so. Is there a way to play with the balance on taxing your CPU and helping out the network?

On my machine i noticed that i got a lot less stutter on the TsMuxer defaults than on MEncoder's defaults or any of MEncoder's settings.
For the max bandwith settings i've tried 0, 10, 15, just about everything but it never seemed to limit at all. And that in combination with degrading the quality on those presets.

I'll be reading through all the threads in the meantime to try and learn all the options.
Thanks
psychobilly

Return to General Help and Support