Easy setup guide for Ubuntu / Debian (DEB packages and repo)

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Complete DEB packages for Ubuntu / Debian (32/64 bit)

Postby happy.neko » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:30 am

chocolateboy wrote:Time to update this?

Done!
Still waiting for SubJunk about adding this info to official site :(
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:49 am

One other thing: is there a source repo for this build? I have a small patch (I know there's deb-src, but...).
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby arrrghhh » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:04 pm

happy.neko wrote:Init.d script (not recommended)
/etc/init.d/ps3mediaserver
/etc/default/ps3mediaserver (startup options)

Sweet, thanks for this!

However, I'm confused by this part - one of the main reasons for installing from a repo (besides the automatic updates) would be to get an init.d script so it can easily run at boot (my server is headless, so the directions on how to add PS3MediaServer to startup using "Startup Applications" is useless).

So what's the deal? How can I use your repo on a headless server? Why is it not recommended to use the init.d script? I noticed on paissad's, I used to be able to reliably start/stop and find the status of PS3MediaServer using the upstart scripts, but ever since paissad went to 1.50 I've had issues. Perhaps this is a PS3MediaServer bug and not a bug with the init script?

I'd be curious to know. Having a reliable upstart script for PS3MediaServer would be fantastic. Thanks!!
arrrghhh

Postby happy.neko » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:29 pm

New version. Precise Pangolin (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) is now supported.

Changelog:

Code: Select all
ps3mediaserver (1.50.2+svn1092+mplayer34587-2) oneiric; urgency=low

* Don't mux all audio tracks with tsmuxer by default

ps3mediaserver (1.50.2+svn1092+mplayer34587-1) oneiric; urgency=low

* New upstream release 1.50.2+svn1092 (https://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/source/list)
  * Make sure daemon is started with system locale (thanks, carlettod)
  * Option to use LPCM for audio when streaming with mencoder and tsmuxer (https://github.com/ps3mediaserver/ps3mediaserver/pull/10)

Experimental PCM audio support added. Try it If you have A/V sync problems with remux AC3 (disable Remux AC3, enable Use LPCM). Because of high bandwidth requirements wired connection is recommended for this feature.

arrrghhh wrote:
happy.neko wrote:Init.d script (not recommended)
/etc/init.d/ps3mediaserver
/etc/default/ps3mediaserver (startup options)

Sweet, thanks for this!

However, I'm confused by this part - one of the main reasons for installing from a repo (besides the automatic updates) would be to get an init.d script so it can easily run at boot (my server is headless, so the directions on how to add PS3MediaServer to startup using "Startup Applications" is useless).

So what's the deal? How can I use your repo on a headless server? Why is it not recommended to use the init.d script? I noticed on paissad's, I used to be able to reliably start/stop and find the status of PS3MediaServer using the upstart scripts, but ever since paissad went to 1.50 I've had issues. Perhaps this is a PS3MediaServer bug and not a bug with the init script?

I'd be curious to know. Having a reliable upstart script for PS3MediaServer would be fantastic. Thanks!!

Init.d startup is disabled by default to prevent users' confusion when two conflicting server instances (headless and started from GUI) are running.
You can enable automatic headless startup, just edit /etc/default/ps3mediaserver and change PS3MS_START="0" to "1". Make sure you have working /root/.config/ps3mediaserver/PMS.conf if you plan to run it under root.

chocolateboy wrote:One other thing: is there a repo for this build? I have a small patch (I know there's deb-src, but...).

Sadly no. But it relatively easy to modify source package:
0. I am using quilt patching system:
sudo apt-get install quilt

It's useful to have a slightly customized default, so let's create an alias dquilt for Debian packaging by adding the following line to ~/.bashrc.
alias dquilt="quilt --quiltrc=${HOME}/.quiltrc-dpkg"

Then let's create ~/.quiltrc-dpkg as follows.
d=. ; while [ ! -d $d/debian -a `readlink -e $d` != / ]; do d=$d/..; done
if [ -d $d/debian ] && [ -z $QUILT_PATCHES ]; then
# if in Debian packaging tree with unset $QUILT_PATCHES
QUILT_PATCHES="debian/patches"
QUILT_PATCH_OPTS="--reject-format=unified"
QUILT_DIFF_ARGS="-p ab --no-timestamps --no-index --color=auto"
QUILT_REFRESH_ARGS="-p ab --no-timestamps --no-index"
QUILT_COLORS="diff_hdr=1;32:diff_add=1;34:diff_rem=1;31:diff_hunk=1;33:diff_ctx=35:diff_cctx=33"
if ! [ -d $d/debian/patches ]; then mkdir $d/debian/patches; fi
fi

1. Download and auto-patch source:
apt-get source ps3mediaserver
cd ps3mediaserver-XXX

2. Add you patches:
dquilt new my-new-patch.patch
dquilt add first-modified-file-in-patch
dquilt add second-modified-file-in-patch
<now edit added files>
dquilt refresh

Check your new patch in debian/patches/my-new-patch.patch.

3. If you want to build you package:
debchange -v new-version

(increment last digit)

Source package:
dpkg-buildpackage -S -sa

Binary package:
dpkg-buildpackage
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby happy.neko » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 am

Important update ps3mediaserver - 1.50.2+svn1092+mplayer34587-3 with fix of upstream bug (tsmuxer, mencoder etc not found) should be up in a few hours for all distributions.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby arrrghhh » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:06 pm

happy.neko wrote:Init.d startup is disabled by default to prevent users' confusion when two conflicting server instances (headless and started from GUI) are running.
You can enable automatic headless startup, just edit /etc/default/ps3mediaserver and change PS3MS_START="0" to "1". Make sure you have working /root/.config/ps3mediaserver/PMS.conf if you plan to run it under root.

Thank you so much! I'll take care of this now.

Just updated to the newest too, awesome stuff. I had a few issues with some MKV's just dying in the middle of the episode, but I have yet to really dig into the logs when this happens.

Thanks again!
arrrghhh

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:28 am

happy.neko wrote:
chocolateboy wrote:One other thing: is there a repo for this build? I have a small patch (I know there's deb-src, but...).

Sadly no. But it relatively easy to modify source package...

Thanks for the info!
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby lordfreak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks for the package, it's really great!
Finally I can use multi-core without all the hassle of finding the right packages through 3 year old instructions!

I do ran into a couple of problems though:

1. When installing it gave an error about the base-name of a folder.
It said that it couldn't switch to folder "jane". Which I thought was odd, because I didn't have folder named jane.
So as it turns out I had a folder named "my documents jane". And the base-name only got the jane part. The install couldn't complete, but when I removed the folder ( I had to remove it anyway), no problem at it. So I guess you need to add some " " around the base-name to resolve this.

2. tsmuxer is really giving me hard times. When first streaming a movie, it just stopped. No stuttering, nothing it just stopped. I couldn't switch to another folder or anything anymore. In the prompt I get reports: task tsmuxer blocked for more than 120 seconds. So I uninstalled tsmuxer and remove it as encoding engine in the PMS.conf. I haven't had any problems since. I don't really miss it, and I don't know if it is something in the package or something on my box, but I thought I'll give you a heads-up.

edit: well, it looks like that wasn't fixed. So it just stops at some point in the movie. Then I can go to other folders but when I select one, it doesn't start encoding. wanted to add the debug.log but it doesn't allow a .log or a .txt extension.

3. With the subtitles I have problems whenever a subtitle comes alone whenever 2 lines come at once. At the first line there is a square at the end of the line. I tried some things in the PMS.conf to get it away, but untill now no succes. If I find a solution I'll let you know.
lordfreak

Postby happy.neko » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:26 pm

1. was it "/home/my documents jane"?
2. hard to tell without logs. You can zip them (preferably with PMS.conf) or post to http://pastebin.com/
3. same here
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby lordfreak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:38 pm

1. Yes it was "/home/my documents jane".
2. Got it on pastebin http://pastebin.com/FT0UfsJS
3. Shame, can live with it though.
lordfreak

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support