Public Jenkins instance

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

Public Jenkins instance

Postby smo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi everybody,

I've setup a Jenkins instance for ps3mediaserver: link removed per viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13458&start=50#p82979.

It's configured to execute continuous and nightly builds:
  • continuous jobs: poll github once an hour for changes + execute "mvn clean package" if any new commits have been found
  • nightly jobs: poll github once a day for changes + execute "mvn clean package site" if any new commits have been found
You want to use the latest builds for testing? See viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14753 for instructions. To get notified about new builds you can use RSS or follow the build server on twitter.

Feel free to request configuration changes for Jenkins! Any Jenkins plugins missing? Forks of pms that also should be built? Any other suggestions? Looking forward to get some feedback. :)

Regards,
smo
Last edited by meskibob on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Removed primary link.
smo

Re: Public Jenkins instance

Postby chocolateboy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:20 pm

Awesome! I was going to investigate setting this up on Travis. But I guess now I don't have to!

smo wrote:Any other suggestions?

Plugins? :-)
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:59 pm

Very nice, Smo!
I was about to do the same, thanks! ;-)

Nice to have the reports and the javadocs online now.

Any other suggestions?

Perhaps have Jenkins poll Git and build per commit, instead of twice per day?
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby smo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:39 pm

chocolateboy wrote:Awesome! I was going to investigate setting this up on Travis. But I guess now I don't have to!

smo wrote:Any other suggestions?

Plugins? :-)

I'll look into it soon..

Raptor399 wrote:
Any other suggestions?

Perhaps have Jenkins poll Git and build per commit, instead of twice per day?

Done.
Polling is done hourly to keep the load of the server at a reasonable level. However, please notice that during a build the response time for browsing the web gui isn't that good.
Last edited by smo on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smo

Postby taconaut » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Wasn't about to do the same, but having a nightly build executing tests, doing code analysis, generating the javadoc and what not is great! Thanks
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby taconaut » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:15 am

What about adding packaging goals to also create zips containing the windows and osx binaries? No need to create installers for people wanting to test nightly builds. This way people could easily test the current code, we just have to put up some visible links to it.

@smo
If you can host other forks, I'd love to see pms-mlx there too. Isn't space and bandwidth an issue?
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby smo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:56 pm

taconaut wrote:[...]
This way people could easily test the current code, we just have to put up some visible links to it.

Nightly builds for windows and osx sound like a nice idea. Maybe we should use 2 additional Jenkins jobs (1 for Windows, 1 for MacOs) that only checkout/compile/jar the current trunk (no unit testing, findbugs run...).
As I'm still new to maven, I'll need some support to configure the correct maven goals. :) Could you tell me the mvn command to generate the packages for windows and mac (without running the platform specific build tools)?

taconaut wrote:If you can host other forks, I'd love to see pms-mlx there too.

I've setup a job for pms-mlx but getting an build error. I can reproduce the problem on my local linux box.
I've temporarily increased the git polling time to every 15 minutes, so you should get results fast if you trying to fix the issue..

taconaut wrote:Isn't space and bandwidth an issue?

Space is not a problem at the moment. Builds older than 30 days are deleted by Jenkins. Do you think this is enough?

Bandwith isn't an issue for additional build jobs. However, I'm not sure how many user will download daily builds and generate traffic. But we can give it a try. As a fall back Jenkins could be configured to upload the nightly builds to another download site..
smo

Postby taconaut » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:57 pm

smo wrote:
This way people could easily test the current code, we just have to put up some visible links to it.

Nightly builds for windows and osx sound like a nice idea. Maybe we should use 2 additional Jenkins jobs (1 for Windows, 1 for MacOs) that only checkout/compile/jar the current trunk (no unit testing, findbugs run...).
As I'm still new to maven, I'll need some support to configure the correct maven goals. :) Could you tell me the mvn command to generate the packages for windows and mac (without running the platform specific build tools)?

I'm also new to maven, raptor is probably the one who knows the best how to do this. Without knowing if jenkins or maven is responsible, the process should ideally build pms.jar (with testing and so on; as it is now) which is the same for all platforms and only the packaging should differ to include the correct binaries for each build.

smo wrote:
taconaut wrote:If you can host other forks, I'd love to see pms-mlx there too.

I've setup a job for pms-mlx but getting an build error. I can reproduce the problem on my local linux box.
I've temporarily increased the git polling time to every 15 minutes, so you should get results fast if you trying to fix the issue..

Thanks a lot for that! I've updated the problematic dependency and it is currently building :)

smo wrote:
taconaut wrote:Isn't space and bandwidth an issue?

Space is not a problem at the moment. Builds older than 30 days are deleted by Jenkins. Do you think this is enough?

Bandwith isn't an issue for additional build jobs. However, I'm not sure how many user will download daily builds and generate traffic. But we can give it a try. As a fall back Jenkins could be configured to upload the nightly builds to another download site..

Cool, let's see how this evolves.
taconaut
Project Member

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:27 pm

taconaut wrote:
smo wrote:

I'm also new to maven, raptor is probably the one who knows the best how to do this. Without knowing if jenkins or maven is responsible, the process should ideally build pms.jar (with testing and so on; as it is now) which is the same for all platforms and only the packaging should differ to include the correct binaries for each build.

The platform independent "pms.jar" is already created as a side effect of the Linux build, no need to do extra builds.
You can already download the file from the workspace/target directory.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby taconaut » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:39 pm

The benefit of having platform dependent packages would be to have the most recent binaries included besides the atpctal code
taconaut
Project Member

Next

Return to Developers