streaming files off of an external hard drive?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

streaming files off of an external hard drive?

Postby sal_peezy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:49 pm

Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to ad an external hard drive to be shared in the "Folders Sharing" tab in the OS X version of PS3 Media Server. When adding folders, the pop up window will only let me browse the local disk; thus preventing me from adding the /Movies & /TV Shows directories where my files are stored on my external drive. Am I missing something painfully obvious? Is this even possible?
sal_peezy

Re: streaming files off of an external hard drive?

Postby innerlight » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:38 pm

All my media is on an External I have absolutely no problems. Basically if windows sees your disk, PS3 Media server should as well.
innerlight

Postby sal_peezy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:58 pm

innerlight wrote:All my media is on an External I have absolutely no problems. Basically if windows sees your disk, PS3 Media server should as well.

I'm actually running OS X, as I stated in my original post, but yeah I get you. I have no problems mounting the disk and navigating the drive in OS X, but it's nowhere to be found when I'm browsing the system and adding folders to share. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that NTFS formatted drives cannot be recognized by the PS3?
sal_peezy

Postby B4tm4n » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:54 pm

On OS X you'll find usb drives under /Volumes.
Navigate to the root of your local drive and click on Volumes, you should find your usb drives there.
Well thats were mine are. :D
B4tm4n

Postby innerlight » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:33 pm

sal_peezy wrote:
innerlight wrote:All my media is on an External I have absolutely no problems. Basically if windows sees your disk, PS3 Media server should as well.

I'm actually running OS X, as I stated in my original post, but yeah I get you. I have no problems mounting the disk and navigating the drive in OS X, but it's nowhere to be found when I'm browsing the system and adding folders to share. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that NTFS formatted drives cannot be recognized by the PS3?

yeah my bad, I kinda got the feeling that would be the case you being on a mac . should have reread before posting.
innerlight

Postby sal_peezy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:28 pm

B4tm4n wrote:On OS X you'll find usb drives under /Volumes.
Navigate to the root of your local drive and click on Volumes, you should find your usb drives there.

Oh big time. You sir, are awesome. /Volumes was indeed where the external drive was located. I'm now streaming 720p .mkv files off of my 500 GB Western Digital MyBook hard drive like it's nobody's business. Thanks!
sal_peezy

Postby green94 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:06 pm

Similar question but for Windows 7...

When I run PMS normally I have full access to my Time Capsule 1TB hard drive and have watched 1080P movies off of it before. However, if I run PMS in Admin mode, I have ZERO access to my external drives. I can't even find them when I search my shared folders.

What am I doing wrong!?!? Thanks in advance for your help.
green94

Postby apocolypstik » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:17 am

B4tm4n wrote:On OS X you'll find usb drives under /Volumes.

THANK YOU!
apocolypstik

Return to General Discussion