Panasonic P50G20 aspect ratio problem

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Panasonic P50G20 aspect ratio problem

Postby krockroc » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 pm

I have searched the forum and can see similar problems and think I know roughly how to fix it but I'm not very technical. When I'm streaming the new Karate kid movie to my panny it squashes the whole image to fit within the screen so it looks out of proportion. I'm not sure what parameters I need to change within PS3 Media Server to sort out this problem. Normally I watch most files using my PS3 but some movies won't play although I have bought them and stored them on my Mac. I have two young children so prefer to have a disc-less house – they end up getting scratched and broken. Is it a simple case of adding black bars and imputing a value? If so what value as I'm not great at maths either. Is it a matter of editing something in the MEncoder section?

Or is there another way. PS3 Media Server is great for me because I can buy foreign films and watch them with downloaded subs.
krockroc

Re: Panasonic P50G20 aspect ratio problem

Postby krockroc » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Sorry for being a d**k

This solved my problem:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7423&start=60#p43491

I just didn't know what to search for.
krockroc

Postby ExSport » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:46 am

From Panasonic.conf file:
Code: Select all
CustomMencoderOptions=-vf softskip,expand=::::1:16\/9:4
ExSport

Postby krockroc » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:27 pm

The other ones seem to work but I would prefer to use something which is more specific so do I just input this into the "custom options":

-vf softskip,expand=::::1:16\/9:4

I tried this and nothing would play???

Do I need to leave:

In the Expert settings / Custom parameters:

((double) width / height) >= 1.7 && ((double) width / height) <= 1.85 :: -mpegopts vaspect=4/3
((double) width / height) >= 2.3 && ((double) width / height) <= 2.5 :: -mpegopts vaspect=221/100

Or do i leave these out?
krockroc

Postby ExSport » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:46 pm

If you are using latest PMS version, you can set this Aspect Ratio fix for Panasonic renderer only. Why to set it for PS3 which is not affected? 8-)
If you want to use "Custom options:" use this:
-vf softskip,expand=::::1:16/9:4

If Expert settings used you can use:
:: -vf softskip,expand=::::1:16/9:4

This settings will be used for every renderer so also in case you don't need it. Because of that it is better to use it in renderer conf.
What exactly this line does? It automatically compute correct AR and if needed it add black bars to fix correct AR. If not needed it will do "nothing".
:1: means possibility to render subtitles in added black bars (without it last subtitle lines will overlay with new ones)
:16/9: means what is your AR of TV used
:4 means that final resolution will be divided by 4(due to limits of some codecs and for optimized encoding speed)
softskip is needed to fix corrupted picture which arise for some files when expand is used
When defined in config file, you need to escape special chars so 16\/9 is used instead of 16/9 as in PMS GUI itself.
ExSport

Postby Dutchice » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:17 am

Hey ExSport,

Is there anyway at all to correct the Aspect Ratio when tsMuxer (muxing) is used?

You know, I hate the fact these Panasonic TV's ALWAYS when using tsMuxer, just fill the whole screen no matter what the video frame size is. The TV itself has a A/R format function (mode1, mode2) but really none correct the problem. I have a SONY Bravia too, which is a sweetie, no such problem on the Bravia. :roll:

Of course when using Mencoder there's no problem, cause the output can be manipulated easily there.
Dutchice

Postby ExSport » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:42 am

Sorry, tested lot of tweaks but none worked (adding special info abour AR in header of the video but it seems PanTV ignores it)
EDIT:
If you are using original Panasonic.conf file, you should read:
viewtopic.php?f=8&p=70722#p70722
ExSport

Return to Alternative Media Renderers