Improved Folder Structure...

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Improved Folder Structure...

Postby TrueTenacity » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:32 am

Would it be possible to add the support for the following folder structures into PS3 Media Server

Movies
|
-- 1408 (2007)
| |
| -- 1408 (2007).avi
| -- 1408 (2007).jpg
| -- 1408 (2007).srt

Series
|
-- True Blood
| |
| -- True Blood.jpg
| -- Season 1
| | |
| | -- Episode.jpg
| | -- True Blood - 1x01 - Strange Love.avi

This would simplify organisation of movie and series files and if we could replace the folder icons with the covers and possibly use "episode.jpg" for all the episode covers would make things real pretty... :-)
TrueTenacity

Re: Improved Folder Structure...

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:16 am

I think you'll enjoy pms-mlx. :-)
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby TrueTenacity » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:07 pm

That pms-mlx is pretty darn lovely...

But is there perhaps an MLX for dummies guide somewhere... I'm struggling to add folders and have them appear on the ps3...
TrueTenacity

Postby taconaut » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:22 pm

While developing it, I always had this in mind, but it didn't always work out ;)
There's a wiki (which isn't very complete yet). To add a folder right-click on any folder and add the folder type you want.
If you've got ideas on how to simplify things or make them more intuitive I'd love to here them. Please ask if you've got questions
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby TrueTenacity » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Ok here's how I would like it....

For adding movie folders -->

Folder Location: Scan sub-folders

Folder Icon:

Order by: Name / Date / Type - Ascending / descending

Movie Icon: Cover.jpg / Thumbnail

For adding series Folders -->

Folder Location: Scan sub-folders

Folder Icon:

Order by: Name / Date / Type - Ascending / descending

File Icon: Episode.jpg / Thumbnail
TrueTenacity

Postby TrueTenacity » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:32 pm

I've followed the wiki... but somehow i'm doing something wrong cos the folders i create appear, but there's never any content...
TrueTenacity

Postby taconaut » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:38 pm

It's pretty close to how it works. When you right-click on a folder you can define the sorting, the name and the thumbnail.
The part on what will show up is more powerful then what you are describing though. Files are first scanned and added to the library (in the general tab). Then you can define what files will show up in a folder by setting conditions (again in the folder edit dialog in the second tab called filter). For you example you can set a condition 'folder path contains c:\....' and all files being in this folder or sub-folder will show up.
Folder icons aren't supported (yet). I'd need a renderer showing thumbnails for folders (haven't even tried with XMBC).
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby h6h » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:44 am

The feature I needed in PMS that I could not find was:
-- folder sorted A-Z
-- files sorted A-Z by default and folder-wise override to sort files by Date-time (Asc/Desc).

Tried out PMS-MLX. It's not intuitive for a new user (i.e., it's not like PMS). No videos will be seen by default. None of my drives are added by default (as in PMS), I had to configure folder by folder (and btw the Media Library Tab is extremely sluggish/hangs at times). PS3 takes a long time to load file list in a folder. Anyone else have similar experience with PMS-MLX with a lot on videos on a 3TB drive?

PMS-MLX 1.50.0 MLX v0.6
Windows 7 64bit on 4-core i5 Desktop PC
h6h

Postby TrueTenacity » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:05 am

I've had to give up on PMS-MLX... I have close on 6TB of media and yeah, after 2 days' indexing there were still no videos...
TrueTenacity

Postby h6h » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:48 am

I like PMS simply adding all drives by default and folders & files sorted A-Z (Alphabetical). I just wish I can change to sort-by-date for files (only) under specific folders (online or pre-configure).

PMS-MLX changes the default behavior of PMS. I thought that having to pre-scan files and then configuring folder by folder is not like PMS anymore. I can see some serious effort given by the developer(s) with PMS-MLX. I guess I have to give up PMS-MLX since the pre-config effort became overkill for my need outlined above. Thanks just the same.
h6h

Next

Return to Feature Suggestions