Best native dvd backup format for PSM and PS3

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Best native dvd backup format for PSM and PS3

Postby zogsterjack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi, hope someone can shed some light for me. running PSM on Linux mint debian edition (lmde) running gnome shell. PS3 can see server and all appears well. that is until I try to access the m4v or mkv files. PSM kicks in to re-encode, if that's the right terminology and everything grinds to a halt. pc isn't that great but not that old either so should cope with streaming no problem.

basic question. what is the ideal file format and audio and video encoding to back dvds up with (menus not needed, just the feature etc) before streaming through PSM, to minimise the need for re-encoding on the fly?

I'm yet to backup my dvd collection, so don't have a stack of files to convert etc. just seems sensible to store the most compatible file at the outset. will be backing up dvds in lmde, have been trying handbrake, but suggestions of Linux software to use welcome, plus known working settings would be much appreciated.

many thanks in advance
zogsterjack

Re: Best native dvd backup format for PSM and PS3

Postby happy.neko » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:56 am

mp4 format with video AVC (h264) and AAC sound
you can use handbrake for linux. Normal preset should work fine.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby zogsterjack » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:50 am

Happy.neko

Many thanks. I tried Handbrake rev3736 and normal as you suggest.
This created an m4v file with h.264 and AAC but all I get is 'This data is corrupt' type message on PS3. It plays fine on linux. And I have a different file that PSM will trans-code on the fuly to prove the network is working etc.

Any further thoughts greatly appreciated.
zogsterjack

Postby happy.neko » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Well that's disappointing. To be sure it is't media server problem rename file to *.mp4 and try to play it on ps3 from USB stick (triangle on gamepad => show all files). If no luck maybe something in "normal" preset is incompatible with ps3. You can google old handbrake's PS3 profile (for some reason they don't ship it with recent versions of handbrake) or try OGMRip, it seems to have PS3 MP4 profile built-in at least on Ubuntu 11.10.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby zogsterjack » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Fantastic. I'll give that a try this evening and let you know.
Many thanks
zogsterjack

Postby zogsterjack » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:28 pm

happy.neko you star. I tried the USB stick to see if it was the files or the server/network and most of the files I have been creating over the last few days worked. To be fair the best output appeared to come from OGMRip using the PS3 profile, so many thanks for both tips. Proves its best to test one thing at a time eh, when will I learn?

Now I just need to track down the PSM setup issue or network problem. There is a wifi link in at one part of the network so I think I'll increase my powerline plug count and remove wifi from the equation altogether.

I have basically installed PSM by downloading the .tgz file and unpacking onto a spare drive I'm planning to use for my media store within my LMDE machine. Then running the psm.sh file, everything seems fine.

PSM can detect both my PS3 and my Panasonic DLNA enabled TV and both TV and PS3 can see the server. Some files will play but I think PSM is transcoding when this it is working, and it seems patchy and trans coding on the fly might be a bit much for the PC I'm using. Was hoping to just get native streaming without too much effort on the part of PSM.

Any thoughts always welcome; but rest assured I'll be trawling the forum some more for more tips now on the corrupt data issue.
Many thanks again
zogsterjack

Postby happy.neko » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:23 pm

PS3MS requires ffmpeg, mplayer/mencoder and libmediainfo. With all tools installed (check Trace tab for errors after server startup) it should stream mp4s without transcoding. You can also manually select "-TRANSCODE- folder -> your file name -> no encoding" via XMB to force it.

I made deb package bundled with all tools but for now it only for 64-bit systems.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13046
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby zogsterjack » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:44 pm

Happy.Neko
I checked and I had ffmpeg, mplayer/mencoder installed on latest versions but not libmediainfo; and apt-get didn't find libmediainfo either, so I looked at trying your deb.

This was the first time I've cursed moving back to 32bit having previously run 64bit ubuntu for a couple of releases and always having issues that everything was available for 32bit and not always 64bit, oh well can't win them all I suppose. I did however follow the link to paissads work from your post and tried his solution, which did appear to install and run from the menu etc, with no apparent errors in the trace window. But still the same problem, even if I tried to force no transcoding as you suggested.

I think I have to accept the network speed may be the issue and have ordered more powerline plugs to run more consistent speeds and no wifi steps in the network.

I'll update the post once I've tried the improved network.
Many thanks for all your help and the work on the deb
zogsterjack

Postby happy.neko » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:03 pm

You can upload small mp4 sample somewhere so I can test it on my setup to be sure it is not ps3ms bug.
And if your PC has 2 Gb RAM or more I strongly suggest you to reconsider 64-bit Linux because performance gain is significant especially for tasks like video encoding/streaming. For example 32-bit ubuntu is compiled for i386 => not using even MMX optimizations from fifteen years ago! As for compatibility things are much better now, even adobe flash works fine.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby zogsterjack » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Happy.neko

Right, quick update :)
Got the network completely wired and still no joy - so at least that shouldn't be a problem in future anyway.

Then I thought what the heck - and installed Debian Wheezy (64bit as suggested) and installed your deb and wouldn't you know it all works perfectly. You genius; many thanks for a great bit of work on the deb.

So now I know I can backup the old DVD collection using OGMRip as you suggested and can play everything without too much fuss over the wired network.

Think I may go back to Linux Mint Debian Edition but will try the 64bit version this time and then install your deb straight away to see that it works 'out of the box' as it were. Think Mint is just that much more user friendly when it comes to plain old 'day to day' stuff.

I'll post to confirm that your deb works on Mint 64bit as soon as I can

Many thanks for the great work and advice
zogsterjack

Next

Return to General Discussion