Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

Postby taconaut » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:01 pm

What are the reasons? recommended by Sony.UK isn't a valid one :p
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby squadjot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Serviio beats PMS in speed, when streaming some formats..(atleast to my SOnyW5500). i was surprised.
Also fastforward/backward is way faster somehow.. I beleive it was able to actually stream the content w/o transoding to my TV whereas PMS always transcodes when i'm using TV.

Again..this goes for some movies..other movies it won't play at all.
squadjot

Postby happy.neko » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:53 pm

tcviper wrote:That Russian solution doesnt support transcoding and is a way to simple product.

Yes, but xupnpd is not intended for playback of local media. It works best for web streams and IPTV. Just recently I wrote plugins for GameTrailers and GiantBomb. And the result is supeb, no delays, no transoding, no quality loss, really fast and reliable. And the best part: I don't have to turn on PC, my WiFi router is powerful enough to run it.

For those interested gametrailers support is included in rc5, I'll commit giantbomb's plugin later along with vkontakte.ru / vk.com (Russian facebook clone with tons of videos. SOPA's worst nightmare).
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby aziztt » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:10 pm

OMG!! i just installed Serviio 0.6.1 and it works amazing!! Its soooo much faster than PS3 media sever.

All my mkv that said unsupported format on my PS3 now works and play perfectly!
Theres no messy transcode folder, it shows your filename as it is and knows weather to transcode.
They include this plugin that lets you play iPlayer, 4OD, YouTube and HULU! But the latest version now include support for SHOUTcast audio streaming!
Ive just seen an Android app that can control your settings rather than going into your PC!

PS3media server development seems to be very slow now, all i see is bux fixes and no real new features, all the bugs seem to be related to mencoder, Serviio doesnt use this encoder.
Its time for me to move on! ;)
aziztt

Postby ExSport » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Funny 8-)
Code: Select all
PS3media server development seems to be very slow now, all i see is bux fixes and no real new features, all the bugs seem to be related to mencoder, Serviio doesnt use this encoder.

Your problem. I never had problems with MKV files, all are playable with PS3 or Pan TV.
If you have problem, post debug log to help you and don't say half-truths. Your problem can be also on your side and not in PMS itself.
Anyway I agree that Serviio is very good piece of upnp server but it doesn't support subtitles because it uses ffmpeg. MEncoder supports subtitles and because of that it is used in PMS instead of ffmpeg.
If PMS is correctly configured you don't need TRANSCODE folder and PMS knows if remux is enough or transcode is needed(preferred subs loaded or unsupported file)
Also you stated that development is so slow....if you will check last updates it is almost every day some new code change in last 3months so you are blind or you are telling untruths.
Your post seems to me little bit like flame ;)
ExSport

Postby aziztt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:50 am

Sorry if i sounded rude, ps3 mediaserver is still a very good server, Twonky still is my all time favourite but doesnt do transcoding yet.

I was just surprised after trying Serviio it was so soo much easier to install on linux, they have a web PHP console and an Android app which makes things far easier to control than editing config files.

With regards to the development, i felt none of the bugs i want fixed are still looming like mkvs cutting off towards the end, video crashing, mencoder randomly skipping etc. Serviio does have some issues but less torelant than PMS and they seem to be introducing real new features build by build looking at their history. I dont watch movies with subs so its not an issue for me
Everyone is entitled to their opinions ;)
aziztt

Postby ExSport » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:42 am

I am on Win so can't say about linux version but I never spoted that my MKV files are cut of at the end.
If you have problems, did you posted it as bugs with mediainfo/debug.log attached?
Without it nobody can't help or fix it if it is problem of PMS.
There are so many possibilities why it stutter/skips like high buffer memory set, wrong configuration so file is trascoded instead of remuxed/streamed so bottleneck can be Wifi,CPU etc.
ExSport

Postby Raptor399 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:19 pm

ExSport wrote:I am on Win so can't say about linux version but I never spoted that my MKV files are cut of at the end.

Alas, it's a known issue that we haven't been able to nail yet.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby johnnysocko » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Casting a vote for plex mediaserver. Serves up video content to my PS3MS unsupported devices about as well as PS3 and has a great presentation of my media content. Of course, it's not DLNA and the clients aren't free, but it is now the primary server for my Win7 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 environment.
johnnysocko

Postby Oldrider » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:02 am

If you are using movies with external subtitles, There is only one alternative: wild media server. I tried Mezzmo, Isedora, XMBC, Serviio, Plex... none of them accept subtitles. WMS allows 1 subtitle only, PMS (when it works) is definitively the best.
Oldrider

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion