Bug Fix: Stream/Transcode decision logic

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

Re: Bug Fix: Stream/Transcode decision logic

Postby Raptor399 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:04 pm

marco275 wrote:Maybe the "Improvement for stream or transcode decision logic" a few releases back did something unintentional?

The fastest way is probably to simply check out earlier commits, and see when things stop stuttering.

It's fairly simple and fast to do this if you already cloned the repository; just copy the codes from the right of the commits page (a "copy SHA" button will appear when you hover over the code) and do:

Code: Select all
git checkout 5424aea7b3bd40682eaf2c3bc38ebf7b389a05b1
mvn package
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby StreamHD » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:22 pm

I have the latest commit installed and just checked the stream/transcode logic for both cases "definitely disabled subs" is on and off. It streams when expected on PS3, Xbox 360, and Samsung AllShare for both cases... very strange. Let us know which commit fixes it.
PMS 1.50.1-Snapshot (latest commit); 400MB buffer;
Samsung LCD D550 Series with custom conf; Sony PS3; Xbox 360;
Win7 x64; JDK-7u2-x64; Intel i7 930 + X58 chipset; 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz; Gigabit backbone;
StreamHD

Postby leroy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 pm

StreamHD wrote:Does your TV support DTS audio (a:dts)?

Philips TV's don't support DTS audio native. (my Home Theatre System does)
None of the entries to the PhilipsPFL.conf i wrote, declare DTS as a supported audio codec, with the "supported=" lines.

Weird that with with "definately disable subs" is checked, sups still given trough MEncoder.
I am not sure this is becouse Your paritical fix. (never tested this before with previous builds).

I will check out earlier commits Raptor 399 mentioned.
leroy

Postby leroy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:24 am

StreamHD wrote:Try changing subtitle language priorities to set subs to "off" (should still transcode but without subtitles).

You are right!
With "Definitely disable subtitles" ticked:
A empty, "Audio/subtitles Language priority.." or using "off" like: "en,off;nl,off": No subtitles trough MEncoder.

"en,nl;nl,off": Gives subtitles trough MEncoder. how dumb... :)
leroy

Postby marco275 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 am

Raptor399 wrote:
marco275 wrote:Maybe the "Improvement for stream or transcode decision logic" a few releases back did something unintentional?

The fastest way is probably to simply check out earlier commits, and see when things stop stuttering.

It's fairly simple and fast to do this if you already cloned the repository; just copy the codes from the right of the commits page (a "copy SHA" button will appear when you hover over the code) and do:

Code: Select all
git checkout 5424aea7b3bd40682eaf2c3bc38ebf7b389a05b1
mvn package

Hi Raptor,

Euh.. I'm sure that it's fairly simple if you know how :lol: but I use the builder tool to compile my builds so i don't know how to clone the repository or what you mean with that Git Checkout at the end. sorry :oops: Where can I find a simple 'how to'? Like to help finding the problem I have.
marco275

Postby Raptor399 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:51 pm

marco275 wrote:Euh.. I'm sure that it's fairly simple if you know how :lol: but I use the builder tool to compile my builds so i don't know how to clone the repository or what you mean with that Git Checkout at the end. sorry :oops: Where can I find a simple 'how to'? Like to help finding the problem I have.

Oh, sorry!
I assumed you knew the full instructions can be found on GitHub.

Hope that helps.
If not, just ask. :-)
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby marco275 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi Raptor,
No I didn't :oops: Thnx for the link. :)

I compiled the latest code, and my problems are gone!!

Thank you al!! :D
marco275

Postby StreamHD » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:13 am

ExSport wrote:I don't understand what you are solving here 8-)

The commit solves a problem for video which is supported by the renderer through "supported=" lines and which contains embedded subtitles. Such videos would transcode if subtitles were explicitly disabled. They will now stream instead.

This currently gives non-PS3 users, who insist on using media info, their only option for streaming videos which contain embedded subtitles.
Win7 x64; JDK-7u2-x64; Intel i7 930 + X58 chipset; 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz; Gigabit backbone;
StreamHD

Postby ExSport » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:00 am

Ok now understand, thx 8-)
I never used "always disable subtitles" so never spotted that it transcodes if embeded subs are present.
I am using aud/sub preference so if non-preferred subs are detected(whatever it is external or embeded), file is always streamed/remuxed instead of transcoding.
Works this way on PS3 and also on Panasonic TV plus XBMC on Windows 8-)
This currently gives non-PS3 users, who insist on using media info, their only option for streaming videos which contain embedded subtitles.
See above. My conf files use MediaInfo=true and works for me OK...so it is not only option...maybe defining aud/sub preference is also cure.
EDIT:
I spent so much time on forced subs support so I recommend to forbid this feature "Definitely disable subs" :mrgreen:
I am watching lot of movies which have forced subs so it is a must for me(when another foreign lang is used like Latin, Spanish, Canton/mandarin chinese and other ones in e.g. english movie)
ExSport

Postby StreamHD » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:49 am

ExSport wrote:Ok now understand, thx 8-)
I never used "always disable subtitles" so never spotted that it transcodes if embeded subs are present.
I am using aud/sub preference so if non-preferred subs are detected(whatever it is external or embeded), file is always streamed/remuxed instead of transcoding.
Works this way on PS3 and also on Panasonic TV plus XBMC on Windows 8-)
See above. My conf files use MediaInfo=true and works for me OK...so it is not only option...maybe defining aud/sub preference is also cure.
EDIT:
I spent so much time on forced subs support so I recommend to forbid this feature "Definitely disable subs" :mrgreen:
I am watching lot of movies which have forced subs so it is a must for me(when another foreign lang is used like Latin, Spanish, Canton/mandarin chinese and other ones in e.g. english movie)

No offense intended but I stand by my statement... if subs are discovered and subs are enabled, video will either be remuxed or transcoded. You will notice that only videos without subs will be streamed. This is the law defined by DLNAResource.java (see lines 558-566) :geek:

I tried remuxing and this breaks FF/FR/native-subs on my Samsung so I don't consider it an option. Non-PS3 users need better streaming options. I have tried to address this issue here but have not received any interest yet.

Edit: Regarding Forced Subs... it does suck having to choose between one feature or another, hence I took the initiative to create options for non-PS3 users to stream when using media info. If [No Transcode] folders materialise, the usefulness of disabling subtitles will be largely forgotten.
StreamHD

PreviousNext

Return to Developers