Embedded subtitles support per renderer

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Embedded subtitles support per renderer

Postby leroy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:31 pm

I use both renderers with PS3 Mediaserver.

Philips TV 40pfl8605h_12.
and
Philips blu_ray home theatre system HTS9520_12.

I am busy creating a PS3 Media Server renderer configuration profile file for these renderers.

The TV supports No subtitles, so transcode all video files with subtitles works great!

The HTS supports embedded subtitles, but No external subtitles like (.srt) through DLNA.

Unfortunately it seems not possible stream video files with embedded suptitles like the (UTF-8) format,
with the use of the "Supported" and "MediaInfo = true".

Using "skip transcode for following extensions" in the "Common transcode settings" tab,
or in the renderer config file with "StreamExtensions = " will skip transcoding.
This enables the renderer capabilities like:
Search on time, chapter, REW/FF, switch between audio and subtitle tracks.

Unfortunately this will overrule the defines with the "Supported" lines.
Also external subtitles (.srt) will be faulty streamed and not transcoded.

PS3 Media Server is written for the PS3, but it will be great to have an possibility
to give support to embedded subtitles per renderer in the "media renderer config file",
with the use of the supported codecs formats programmed.

Kind regards
Last edited by leroy on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
leroy

Re: Embedded subtitles support per renderer

Postby daveclark » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Could you send me your Philips TV conf file? I have this television too.
Nevermind. I've just downloaded it from http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12368 and it's working flawlessly. Now even subtitles are working.
Thank you!
daveclark

Postby StreamHD » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi leroy

I only saw your thread now! It's similar to my thread over here. I included a partial solution for MediaInfo=True and embedded subtitles there (and Raptor399 pointed out some culprits). It requires to patch code, recompile and then tick "definitely disable subs".

I'm trying desperately to replace the Format.ps3compatible() with a method which parses "Supported=" and "StreamExtension=" lines from the conf, but struggling to visualise the right way :(

Anyways, glad to see I'm not alone with these problems.
PMS 1.50.1-Snapshot (latest commit); 400MB buffer;
Samsung LCD D550 Series with custom conf; Sony PS3; Xbox 360;
Win7 x64; JDK-7u2-x64; Intel i7 930 + X58 chipset; 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz; Gigabit backbone;
StreamHD

Postby leroy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:52 am

Hi StreamHD,

Because of different native subtitle support of all renderers/players,
i guess it will be great to add next functions to the renderer config file:

EmbeddedSupSupport = true / false
ExternalSupSupport = true / false

This way the same configuration for PMS can be used while more diverent renderers/players are connected.

I do not know if it is possible to stream (not trancode!) external subtitles as .srt to a renderer.
(no of my rederers supports it)

So mayby only "EmbeddedSupSupport = " will suffice.

I hope the code can be changed to use this, becouse newer renderers give support to subtitles.

If i ticked "definitely disable subs", this forcefully transcode all video files with subtitles, without display subtitles.
With an empty "Skip transcode for the following extensions (comma separated):" and (SubJunk Build 57).

I do not like to use the #transcode# folder,
Because settings like audio and subtitles language can given to the PMS configuration,
and the philips HTS i own, have an annoying incorrect behavior with the #transcode# folder ticked.

More info about the incorrect behavior currently given to findings:
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12369

Unfortunately I have not (yet) the knowledge to patch and recompile the new code, with your partial solution.
I am not a programmer but have some experience with C, so i can read a little Java.

The Panasonic.conf uses "SoftSubSupport=false" but i do not know for sure PMS uses this.

Great you think along.
leroy

Postby StreamHD » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:34 pm

What does the "SoftSubSupport=" line do? None of my renderers use it.

I have been using the latest version on GitHub, the partial fix is committed there, and I haven't noticed anything that is broken in this version (more improvements than anything!). If you want to try, just follow the steps under "Full Instructions" here. If the patch helps, please drop a line on my thread so that the main Devs know if ppl are benefitting.

I feel the same about #Transcode# folder, but my reason is the family doesn't understand it :lol:

I'm planning on working on a priority system for subs but I feel its better to 1st get the existing stream/transcode logic working right for all renderers. I'm not a Java developer either so hopefully these plans do realise.
PMS 1.50.1-Snapshot (latest commit); 400MB buffer;
Samsung LCD D550 Series with custom conf; Sony PS3; Xbox 360;
Win7 x64; JDK-7u2-x64; Intel i7 930 + X58 chipset; 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz; Gigabit backbone;
StreamHD

Postby ExSport » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:07 pm

StreamHD wrote:What does the "SoftSubSupport=" line do? None of my renderers use it.

Nothing
I tested it in my custom builds but code was buggy so it was removed. Unfortunately Panasonic.conf wasn't updated. Anyway this feature was only for few Samsung TV.
Now softsub code was updated so it is working and it was already added to official code few days ago so forget for this never working param "SoftSubSupport". 8-)
ExSport

Return to Feature Suggestions