Do I need a wireless router?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Do I need a wireless router?

Postby mrab » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Can I run this media server on a laptop without being connected through a wireless router?
If so how do I do this?
mrab

Re: Do I need a wireless router?

Postby Raptor399 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:22 pm

mrab wrote:Can I run this media server on a laptop without being connected through a wireless router?
If so how do I do this?

Sure you can. Wire your laptop to the network and run PMS. More bandwith for you!
(Or maybe I didn't understand the question ;-))
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Klinq » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:44 pm

I guess you just need to be connected to the network, no matter how. Or there're still some bandwidth requirements/recommendations?
Klinq

Postby Val Killmore » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Klinq wrote:I guess you just need to be connected to the network, no matter how. Or there're still some bandwidth requirements/recommendations?

The point is that wired is better if you don't want bandwidth restrictions.

Wireless G at best has a thruput of about 25 Mbps........despite what it is actually 'rated' at.

Wireless N is much better than G as far as thruput, but still fallible and imperfect.

Wired 100 Mbps is going to be enough headroom for bandwidth for most media.

Wired 1000 Mpbs (gigabit) is obviously the best route if you intend on transcoding large, super HD movies with DTS.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=30#p39334

You can also do a direct connection, avoiding a router or switch. PC <-----ethernet cable----->PS3 If you also require internet, you would need to set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), meaning your serving computer would require two network interfaces. Either two ethernet adapters, or a wifi and an ethernet adapter.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Return to General Discussion