1080p Stutters On PS3 Even With Gigabit Ethernet...

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: 1080p Stutters On PS3 Even With Gigabit Ethernet...

Postby matryx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:41 am

aftermath wrote:I've had similar problems for the longest time. After lots of trial and error, this is the how I solved the problem: Set your Ethernet card as well as your PS3 to 100Mbps Half Duplex and manually set the IP address on your PC and PS3. Avoid using DHCP.

On your PC:
Control Panel -> Network Connections -> select the appropriate card -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced -> Speed and Duplex -> 100Mbps Half Duplex

On your PS3:
Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Settings -> Custom -> Wired Connection -> Manual Settings -> 100BASE-TX-Half Duplex.

Trust me. This will work wonders.

I just tried this and I get no stuttering even with very high bitrate movies. I'm not sure how it works but everything is running smooth except for transcoding subtitles.

Thanks man
matryx

Postby imaware » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:27 pm

meskibob wrote:
imaware wrote:Would upgrading to a 10/100/1000 switch offer any further benefits.

Yes.

Why is any type of switch making a differance to performance over direct to ps3 connection ?
Lee.
imaware

Postby lexs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:34 pm

There is something strange about the network use of the PS3. I can't figure it out.

I tried streaming my 1080p mkv's through PMS, but this turns out to overload my (DualCore 2.8GHz) CPU and lead to terrible stutter.

So I transcoded everything first to DIVX, which can be displayed without further transcoding. This improved the stutter, but didn't eliminate it.

Now I copied the transcoded files to the PS3's hard drive. This runs 100% stutter free, but I think it's rather a clumsy way of solving the problem.

But here's the strange thing: copying the 1 hour avi from the PC to the PS3 takes only 10 minutes. So the stutter when streaming from the PC is not due to the network or disc speed in my PC. The CPU runs at 5% load when streaming, so that's not the problem either. Anybody got an idea what's the bottleneck?
lexs

Postby jbenchley » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Hey guys does anybody know how to set your adapter to Half-Duplex in Windows 7? I went into the Advanced tab on my adapter settings but there is no half duplex/full duplex option.
I'm trying to stream Saving Private Ryan in blue ray and having a very bad stuttering problem.

Thanks
jbenchley

Postby moonglow » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:39 pm

Jbenchley, goto hardware manager, device properties, advanced and look for speed/duplex-but I wouldn't encourage this option, I'm not sure what level of handshaking ps3 and psm have, but you're essentially only allowing your data to flow one direction at a time. If there is any error checking or sync signal I would expect handshaking probs/network errors.

and basically you shouldn't need to do it - I'm running windows 7 on P4 3GHz 4gig ram without any stutter even when running background tasks. I'd suggest checking your task manager to see where your bottleneck is - network or CPU (sorry if teaching you to suck eggs). With a gigabit network I find a 1080p mkv stream hardly rates, the cpu, however, can be working it. I did find I had a lot of stutter even on a dvdrip stream when I had firefox running with several windows open. When I closed that down even a 1080p DTS bluray stream ran sweet.

Someone earlier (Lee I think) asked if replacing a 10/100 switch with a giganet switch would improve their speeds - it depends a little how your network is setup. The 10/100 switch will bottleneck any giganet devices running through it. Saying that, if you've only got a 10/100 card in your PC then it won't make any difference.

Just reading your other post Lee and a bit unsure how you've got things setup, you mention a 10/100 switch in one post and a crossover cable in another? I might be mixing my posts.... if you're running through a 10/100 switch to your PS3, see above. If you're running from your computer (with a giganet card/port) to your ps3 using a crossover cable check how its being detected at each end, depending on the cable you're using it might be limiting you to 10/100. If you've got 10/100/1000 on each end, you might be able to run a standard straight through cable and get automatic crossover (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable)

hope thats some help.
moonglow

Postby moonglow » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:33 am

Turns out my stutter free streaming was a big fat lie - just been playing with a bluray rip of iron man - If I try streaming with the standard settings I get a total stutter fest - video keeps topping out at 190Mps, video sits on 630-650kbps, but the receiver flicks between normal/pro logic/and dolby digital. The only stutter free stream that seems to work is TSMuxer, but that only streams 12Mps or so and the receiver is only showing normal audio signal (although the ps3 shoes 5.1 dolby digital).
moonglow

Postby Srchn2000 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:40 pm

I'm going to let my stupidity be a lesson for everyone. I was banging my head against the wall for hours trying to get rid of the statattuering. I have a giga bit network. Originally I had the ps3 wireless. I never used pms before so I figured I needed to go hard wire bc of the wireless nics inability to handle the volume of data. So I did. I hooked up my Ethernet cable and still no joy. After many hours of useless maneuvers I finally realized, I had to tell the ps3 to switch to the wired connection. Well I can tell you now, I can stream full 1080p 3d movies. 15gigs of goodness like whoa. Hope this helps somebody. Banging your head only gives u headaches hahahaha
Srchn2000

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:49 pm

Srchn2000 wrote:After many hours of useless maneuvers I finally realized, I had to tell the ps3 to switch to the wired connection.

Or you could have read the FAQ:

chocolateboy wrote:Use a wired connection if possible (and, if so, double check that it's being used, both on the PC and on the renderer).
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby Srchn2000 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Yeah well it would have been helpful if I understood that the rendered was the ps 3
Srchn2000

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:45 pm

Or you could have clicked the first link.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Previous

Return to General Help and Support