[SOLVED] Stuttering Issues with Windows 7

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

[SOLVED] Stuttering Issues with Windows 7

Postby gr1fter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:47 am

Hello,
I am just posting this information in case someone else could find this useful. Others like myself will soon be upgrading to Windows 7 and when I did I had some issues with PS3 Media Server. I kept having a constant picture freeze at random times during playback that would last between 15-45 seconds. It drove me a crazy and had me going off on a hunt to fix this problem. I never had this problem with XP or Vista so I had first looked to PS3 Media Server for resolution, unfortunately after a lot of searching I did not find any resolution.

I tried many different versions, even the latest beta releases and all would produce the same results. I started looking beyond the software and noticed that with ps3 media server pushing out 720p and DTS audio encoded across the network it was sending some heavy traffic and when it reached a certain threshold the whole network would drop to 0/kbs .

Oddly I then remembered that when i did my fresh install of Windows 7, when I first logged in I was prompted for 3 updates and one of them was my network card. Jackpot. My network card was this:

Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

For some strange reason Windows 7 decided to update it to a previous version driver, back to 2007.

My Roll Back Driver button was highlighted, so I rolled back my driver and viola. My "good" driver is back and everything is Smoooooth as whistle.

So for anyone running a Gigabyte motherboard with that NIC and plan to upgrade to Windows 7, check your NIC driver cause that helped me!

Here is my good driver and everything running great

Last edited by gr1fter on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gr1fter

Re: Stuttering Issues with Windows 7

Postby gr1fter » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:15 pm

bump
gr1fter

Re: [SOLVED] Stuttering Issues with Windows 7

Postby shanibi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Thank you very much for posting this.

I had the same problem and fixed it by downloading a new driver from realtek, uninstalling the one I had and installing the new one.
shanibi

Postby nnoble83 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:17 am

i had to register with the forum just to say THANK YOU!! This has been driving me insane i have tried different versions of ps3mediaserver, mencoder, changed settings, i was close to reinstalling. I have an asus board i think the realtek drivers are pretty standard for alot of boards, thank you.
nnoble83

Postby BlueCheng » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:30 am

Hi,
I got same problem with you. I'm using PS3 Media server with Win7 64bit about 1~2 years. Then streaming video starts stuttering during these months. Network adapter stop streaming about 1~2 seconds when heavy load, but Internet connection is still work. I've tried every method something like safe mode test, fix registry, change driver, change configuration, change hardware, reinstall OS...etc. But the problems still occurs.
I don't know how to fix it, but i found the other way to using PMS on win7 64bit. To use this you need 2 NIC on your computer. There is a XP-Mode on win7, it just like a simple VMware. So I install it and run PMS on XP environment. I set it to use the specify nic (not Win7 using) so it can get IP on same network segment with PMS.

Notice : don't use folder-sharing from XP-Mode configuration! Only need to share the folder on Win7, then mount it on XP.

In my case, if I using folder share during XP-Mode configuration, my TV can't open the folder on PMS. Then you can using PMS without any network problems.

Hope this helps.
BlueCheng

Return to General Help and Support