.DEB package available for Debian/Ubuntu

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: .DEB package available for Debian/Ubuntu

Postby Jose1701 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and very glad about that it exist. ;-)

I like to say thank you for the deb package. I tried to compile it myself but it never worked.

Do you plan further updates of the deb package? I will try to compil PMS v 1.5 but I'm not sure to get it to work.

Regards

Jose
Jose1701

Postby btanoue » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:50 am

Looking forward to a new release as well.
Hope I can finally get subtitles to work.
btanoue

Postby btanoue » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:43 am

Some updates on the Linux version.

The Linux version of mencoder does not support ASS fonts (Like if you have a MKV file the subtitles don't show due to the encoding, or they get stuck on the screen)
I rebuilt a Ubuntu 11.10 box and forgot to recompile. All my subtitles disappeared.

I propose creating a specific mencoder package with ASS support in paissad's repo.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8539

I built a version following the directions and created a deb package.
The problem is that I can't install it because pms-linux depends on the mencoder in the Ubuntu repo.

When you release 1.50, I think this would be a good time to create this version of mencoder or do not make pms-linux depend on mencoder so we can install our own.

What do you think?

btanoue
btanoue

Postby zenlord » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:02 pm

btanoue wrote:The Linux version of mencoder does not support ASS fonts

I guess you mean that the default compile of mencoder doesn't support ASS subtitles in Ubuntu? It is possible to recomile mencoder yourself and change the compilation instructions from '--disable-ass-internal' to '--enable-ass-internal' ...

I have not yet done this myself, but it should be trivial to use that compilation switch...
zenlord

Postby btanoue » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi zenlord,

Actually the link lets you compile and build a deb package. It works great. 8-)

The problem is that pms-linux has a dependency on mencoder.

When I try to install the new mplayer package that script creates it tries to write over mencoder from the ubuntu dist pools.
As a result, I can not install the package.

So I was thinking that paissad could have the pms-linux dependency based on the mencoder from the script.

I really like the work he/she put into it. It works great and handwriting start and stop service scripts is a pain.
paissad wrote some nice code.

btanoue
btanoue

Easy Multiple Core Fix

Postby FFIXCollector » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:30 am

This script works great! The only problem I had, which seems to be common, is multiple core support in mencoder.

Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:motumedia/mplayer-daily && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

From what I understand This will install the daily builds of mencoder from the Motu Media PPA. They are said to be more unstable, but the only problem I ever had is that update manger wants to update every day. I fixed that ;) System>Administration>Software Sources>Updates>Check for updates "weekly" I have a dual Xeon dualcore server. I went from barley being able to transcode 720p (after buffering) to watching Big Buck Bunny in 1080 (after buffering). Let me know how it works.

The only problem I still have is, even though mencoder uses all cores, it does not maximize its CPU usage, meaning It only uses about 70% of total CPU. If anyone could give me some pointers, I would appreciate it.
FFIXCollector

Postby btanoue » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi FFIXCollector,

I like Final Fantasy as well, hope XIII-2 is better....but I digress.

I've always seen multicore mencoder working. Its always about 168% (I have an older Core2duo Dell E520 Hand me down)
That was from the straight ubuntu repo as well.

I think there is also a way to pin a package in debian/ubuntu, but I haven't done it yet.
There might be an option in synaptic to do this.

My other wondering is that although mencoder is using >100% CPU utilization, maybe that is the max due to the high amount of I/O the system processes need in the Intel Architecture.
So it might never be that you will never see 100% unless you do a mencode without any Ethernet I/O's. Try it and let me know.
(Yes I know reading and writing to disk is an I/O as well)

btanoue
btanoue

Postby FFIXCollector » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:27 pm

2 dual core xeons running 4 cores for a max of 400%
Running
Code: Select all
mencoder test.mkv -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=3000:aspect=4/3:threads=4:vpass=1 -vf pp=lb -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -o test.avi

yields 4 threads all running an average of 25% for a total of 200%....?

Transcoding a 720p .mkv video results in 9 threads resulting in an average on 33% pr thread. = about 300% out of 400% utilization, 3/4 utilized
Transcoding a 1080p .avi results the same.

Memory is 818MB/999MB

As an experiment, I tried handbraking the same 720p .mkv, and got 11 threads utilizing under 400% (darn near max on all cores) :?
FFIXCollector

Postby btanoue » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:12 am

FFIXCollector,

I'm wondering if mencoder just can't use the full capacity of the machine.
Some programs multi-thread very well while others don't.
Perhaps Handbrake is very parallel and therefore work can be split up between cores easier.
Or maybe it lends itself to Hyperthreading better? Who knows.

Is it possible to check this build on a Windows box for comparison's sake?

I too am academically curios about your findings.

Is it possible to get a frame/sec for both of these in Linux?

btanoue
btanoue

Postby arrrghhh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:36 am

paissad,

Any updates? I haven't seen a new build yet...
arrrghhh

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support