Wired to Wired: Connectivity, but no streaming (logs incl.)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Wired to Wired: Connectivity, but no streaming (logs incl.)

Postby wattershed » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:30 am

Okay so this was weird...

I get home, connect my laptop to my router via RJ-45 instead of wireless, and it CHUGS. I thought something had locked up, as I sat there for 10 minutes with nothing happening, Eventually I saw a flicker of video and audio, with it going frozen/silent again for another 7-10 minutes. I cut it after that, and tried another file. Same thing, or at least it seemed, as I didn't wait out the full 10 minutes or so.

I checked my ports, ran connection speed tests on my laptop to the internet which were fine, swapped RJ-45 cables, nothing seemed to matter. I unplugged, went back to wireless, fluid again. I restarted my router (WRT54GL w/Tomato firmware) as well as the PS3 and my laptop, plugged the cable back into the laptop & router, and it was still awful.

I'm able to browse through my file folders in the PS3 while "wired," but there's a noticeable delay in PMS beginning to attempt to prepare to get ready to stream (I exaggerate there only because it's so slooooow). Using PMS build 1.10.51, PS3 software version 2.6. On a Dell M1530 with Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4 ghz, 4 gb ram, Vista Home.

Attached is a zip file with logs from wired and wireless attempts.
Attachments
PMS_logs.zip
(52.31 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
wattershed

Re: Wired to Wired: Connectivity, but no streaming (logs incl.)

Postby eridarda » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:35 pm

When it is stuttering what does your bitrate say at the status screen? Do you see a significant change in bitrate when switching to wireless?

As you saw in my last topic Flow control switched made significant changes for me. I also did a test with a pc and a 100mb network interface connected to a GB switch. It kept stuttering till i switched off all the advanced NIC functions.

So this means you do not need a GIGABIT network to stream HD content!!
eridarda

Postby wattershed » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:29 pm

eridarda wrote:When it is stuttering what does your bitrate say at the status screen? Do you see a significant change in bitrate when switching to wireless?

As you saw in my last topic Flow control switched made significant changes for me. I also did a test with a pc and a 100mb network interface connected to a GB switch. It kept stuttering till i switched off all the advanced NIC functions.

So this means you do not need a GIGABIT network to stream HD content!!

It doesn't even make it that far - the one file which I let sit long enough to get barely a blip of video/audio, the buffer status bar in PS3MS remained at 0, and the upper-right corner of the PS3's info screen fluttered between 0 and 260 kbps or so...to be honest I didn't watch that part too carefully simply because nothing was appearing, and it definitely seemed like there was no activity between the devices.

I'm hoping that the software author can take a look at my logs to see if there's something he might notice - it's so strange to me to see things working almost perfectly when the laptop's wireless and just about not at all when it's plugged in. I've used the laptop plugged in before elsewhere and haven't noticed speed issues, but I've never put it to much of a test with large file transfers so I can't say with confidence that it's working as hoped while plugged in outside of the PS3 realm of things. I will do a general speed test tonight with it plugged in to check on that, and I'll also try the fix you mentioned worked for you in another thread...while I'm not sure if that will help things, it definitely can't hurt at this point!
wattershed

Postby wattershed » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:19 am

Fixed it.

On a Dell m1530 with "Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller" as the wired ethernet card:

Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Right Click > Properties > click 'Configure' button > click 'Advanced' tab > 'Speed & Duplex' property > changed from 'Auto-Negotiate' to '100 Mpbs Full Duplex'.

No clue why Auto-Negotiate wasn't giving me full duplex, but it went from not working to having to limit the bandwidth. Good stuff.
wattershed

Postby eridarda » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:51 am

Congrats

That`s what i did also. Turn off all the advanced Nic options and turn them on one by one
eridarda

Return to General Help and Support