.DEB package available for Debian/Ubuntu

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: .DEB package available for Debian/Ubuntu

Postby knyckis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi. Thanks for a great package, it installed perfectly on my 11.04!

However, I want it *not* to start at startup at the moment, so I went into the /etc/init.d/pms-linux script to disable auto startup. It seems to me as if you should change the value on this line:

PMS_START=1 # Wether to start or not pms-linux server at boot time.

So I put "0" there instead. But it still starts at bootup. I am a ubuntu newbie and have not found any explicit info on what the value should be here. Anyone know how I am supposed to do here?
knyckis

Postby paissad » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:03 am

@arrrrrgh

Sorry for being absent so long.
This week-end, i will begin the work for the .deb build of the last stable version 1.40
Further, i see there's a contrib/ directory in the project, i will propose that would build a .deb package automatically for Ubuntu/Debian users so that they even can build snapshot versions.
paissad

Postby knyckis » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks a million for the reference, Paissad - sorry for not noticing that one, I searched the thread with no luck, but there were simply to much info for me to browse it all.

Great work!!
knyckis

Postby arrrghhh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:48 pm

paissad wrote:@arrrrrgh

Sorry for being absent so long.
This week-end, i will begin the work for the .deb build of the last stable version 1.40
Further, i see there's a contrib/ directory in the project, i will propose that would build a .deb package automatically for Ubuntu/Debian users so that they even can build snapshot versions.

np mate, I know we all have real lives. If you want any help (I can't provide much :P) I'm here to help.

I look forward to the new version!
arrrghhh

Postby francisv » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:52 pm

I used the wget (lazy person) method to install on Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick). Worked great.
Less than an hour after having read about PMS I was watching a full DVD on my IPAD.
Good quality video without using Handbrake and ssh to get it on the IPAD.

Now I might be able to deal with the audio sync issue that happens when I use TV out. This isn't from the
PMS side. It did the same thing with Mediatomb and the IPAD app author said it's due to WormyGreenAPPLE iOS
changes. No sync issue when watching directly on the IPAD. So I've saved my blobs and won't update anymore.

I have noticed the PMS.conf does not seem to match up with any settings changes made thru the GUI.

There are PMS.conf files in three different folders and the suggested folder for /home/~me/.config has only a PMS.conf.
This .conf does reflect changes made in the GUI but those changes are not used by the application. Also there is no
WEB.conf in my home .config folder and when pms-linux is run I have a WEB enabled configuration so I'm pretty sure PMS-linux is using
another folder for it's configuration.

I'm pretty sure I can figure it out and I'll let you know.

Thank You very much for your installation script and server support.
francisv

Postby Acejam » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:52 pm

I ran the automatic install shell script against a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop x64. I shared one of my folders and was able to stream a 1080p MKV from my box to my Xbox 360. However, the playback stuttered a bit. The machine is connected at 100 Mbps across my local LAN, and I'm running plenty of power: Core i7 920 with HT (8 cores), 12GB RAM, etc.

Since I'm pretty sure CPU power is not to blame - could it be due to network issues? I have a Netgear gigabit switch that I can try out later tonight. I used to play MKV's on my old Windows 7 x64 machine with literally the exact same components, but I've now installed Linux. Previously on Windows, everything played back very smoothly, but I was also using my gigabit switch.

Another difference is that previously I played back to my PS3. However now, I'm playing back to my Xbox 360, which is one of the newer slim models with HDMI support.

EDIT: I just realized that my Xbox 360 is connected via wireless currently, using draft-N @ 65 Mbps. I will try plugging in an ethernet cable tonight! :lol:
Acejam

Postby arrrghhh » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:18 am

Acejam wrote:I ran the automatic install shell script against a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop x64. I shared one of my folders and was able to stream a 1080p MKV from my box to my Xbox 360. However, the playback stuttered a bit. The machine is connected at 100 Mbps across my local LAN, and I'm running plenty of power: Core i7 920 with HT (8 cores), 12GB RAM, etc.

Since I'm pretty sure CPU power is not to blame - could it be due to network issues? I have a Netgear gigabit switch that I can try out later tonight. I used to play MKV's on my old Windows 7 x64 machine with literally the exact same components, but I've now installed Linux. Previously on Windows, everything played back very smoothly, but I was also using my gigabit switch.

Another difference is that previously I played back to my PS3. However now, I'm playing back to my Xbox 360, which is one of the newer slim models with HDMI support.

EDIT: I just realized that my Xbox 360 is connected via wireless currently, using draft-N @ 65 Mbps. I will try plugging in an ethernet cable tonight! :lol:

Keep in mind, the stuff for Linux out of the box is not multi-threaded if I'm not mistaken. The stuff on Windows is. If the gigabit/hardwire solution doesn't solve it, check htop when running something that is transcoded - see if it is using multiple cores or not.
arrrghhh

Postby Astro » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:41 pm

mencoder usus 4 cores here in ubuntu 11.10 ...
Astro

Postby Astro » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Astro wrote:mencoder usus 4 cores here in ubuntu 11.10 ...

don't forget to set this in your PMS.conf for cpu's with 2 cores
Code: Select all
nbcores = 2

or this for cpu's with 4 cores
Code: Select all
nbcores = 4
Astro

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support