mac/PS3 wired connection without a router

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

mac/PS3 wired connection without a router

Postby Shoes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Is this possible? I have a new MacBook Pro and I'm having trouble when connecting my PS3 directly to the Mac.

I've tried everything, and have all the right sharing settings;

The adress options on my PS3:

IP: 169.254.137.102
Subnet: 255.255.0.0 (it has that on my ethernet connection on my Mac's network settings)
Gateway: 169.254.137.101
DNS: 172.19.0.73/172.109.0.67 (the DNS settings my wifi connection gives me)

If I do the 'easy' conntection on my PS3, it doesn't assign an IP. Using these manual settings it does but then it shags out at the next bit.

I've noticed that when I do an internet test and the PS3 tries to use the ethernet, it shows as disconnectedon my Mac/s network settings - is this normal?? Do others have this? Would I need to be using a cross-over cable and not a standard cat5e one?

I would forever be in your debt for any help, guys.
Shoes

Re: mac/PS3 wired connection without a router

Postby macfixme » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:49 pm

You need to set up network sharing on your mac. Currently it looks like disabled, the PS3 is using a so-called self-configured address, which does not really work for most setups.
Go to Network Settings on the PS3, select DHCP enabled.
Go to Sharing Settings on your mac and enable internet sharing. Selcet share Airport with computers using ethernet.
That should work.
If it does not, then you must tweak the DHCP Settings on the Mac, which is a little trickier:
With internet sharing active, edit /etc/bootpd.plist via sudo. Change the value in
Code: Select all
<key>reply_threshold_seconds</key>
        <integer>4</integer>

to 1.
then
sudo kill -HUP `cat /var/run/bootpd.pid`

cross fingers...
macfixme

Postby Shoes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:58 pm

How do I edit it via sudo? The online guides - p /etc/bootpd.plist /tmp/bootpd.plist, etc - don't work for me, and I'm not sure they work in 10.7 at all.
Shoes

Postby macfixme » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Shoes wrote:How do I edit it via sudo? The online guides - p /etc/bootpd.plist /tmp/bootpd.plist, etc - don't work for me, and I'm not sure they work in 10.7 at all.

Hmm, you mean, you don't have a /etc/bootpd.plist present when enabling internet sharing on the mac?
If this is the case, I don't know how to help offline.
If there is one, edit via sudo means invoking your favorite editor in superuser mode, like
sudo vi /etc/bootpd.plist
macfixme

Postby Shoes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Yeah, I knot it's supposed to create one, but it doesn't. I've tried opening it in terminal, looked in sudo pico, looked in the text editor (via sudo) and no dice. It's very odd. Are you on 10.7?
Shoes

Postby poiromaniax » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Shoes wrote:Is this possible? I have a new MacBook Pro and I'm having trouble when connecting my PS3 directly to the Mac.

I've tried everything, and have all the right sharing settings;

The adress options on my PS3:

IP: 169.254.137.102
Subnet: 255.255.0.0 (it has that on my ethernet connection on my Mac's network settings)
Gateway: 169.254.137.101
DNS: 172.19.0.73/172.109.0.67 (the DNS settings my wifi connection gives me)

If I do the 'easy' conntection on my PS3, it doesn't assign an IP. Using these manual settings it does but then it shags out at the next bit.

I've noticed that when I do an internet test and the PS3 tries to use the ethernet, it shows as disconnectedon my Mac/s network settings - is this normal?? Do others have this? Would I need to be using a cross-over cable and not a standard cat5e one?

I would forever be in your debt for any help, guys.

Do you want to browse internet or just intranet/local files? i tried many times to work out internet sharing to my ps3 but it never worked.

For just streaming without internet access do the following:
Screen Shot 2011-11-14 at 4.45.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2011-11-14 at 4.45.55 PM.png (83.2 KiB) Viewed 3635 times

Then on the PS3 enter manual settings and use the following:
i.p : 169.254.242.1
Subnet : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway : 169.254.242.2
DNS : 169.254.242.2

If i understood your original post correctly, then this is what you were after?

EDIT - did some playing around and i feel like a tool for not trying this earlier.

On your mac, Leave your ethernet on DHCP, share internet from Airport to Ethernet.
On your PS3, use easy settings.

Its working for me, Im using a Macbook Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.7.2
poiromaniax

Postby Shoes » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Still no. I have a feeling my ethernet is broken - does anyone else's ethernet network 'disconnect' when doing a network test on the PS3? Go to Network on your Mac and keep an eye on it for me, please.
Shoes

Postby ilikeredbull » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:54 am

Finally I have been able to figure this out, these are the settings I use.

I share the Wireless internet connection from my iMac to the PS3 via a network cable directly connected to the Ethernet port of the computer without a router.
The reason why I do this is to be able to stream 1080p and 3D movies to the PS3 using PS3 Media Server, but the wireless G on the PS3 cannot carry enough bandwidth to do so.
And since I still want to be able to play online with the PS3 and not change the settings every time, I have to share the internet connection from the mac, to the ps3.
So here's how I did it. I will try to explain this in the easiest way:

First You set the IP Address, DNS and Gateway manually on the PS3
Go to Network Settings -> Internet Connection Settings -> Custom -> Wired Connection -> Manual Settings -> Auto-Detect (speed and duplex) -> Manual (IP Address Settings)
Now enter the following digits:

IP Address: 192.168.2.2 (this is the ip address the ps3 will have on the network)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (this is the subnet mask to allow the ps3 to connect to the internet 255.255.0.0 would restrict it to a closed network)
Default Router: 192.168.2.1 (this is the ip address of the computer, since it will act as a router)
Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8 (This is Google's DNS server, you can use your ISP's DNS server if you prefer)
Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4 (Alternative Google DNS server)

Now save these settings.

On the mac, go to Network Preferences by clicking the Wireless connection icon in the upper bar on the right, then Open Network Preferences
This is how my settings look like:
Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 4.23.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 4.23.01 PM.png (85.66 KiB) Viewed 1085 times

Make sure the Wifi connection is on TOP on the left side, otherwise the computer will try to access the internet through the Ethernet connection from the PS3, and obviously that won't work.
To do so, click the little Gear next to the + and - sign and select Set Service Order. Drag the names to set it in order.
If you do not see a Wifi and Ethernet service on the LEFT side, then click the little + sign to add it
Click the Ethernet connection on the left and enter these settings:

Configure IPv4: Manually
IP Address: 192.168.2.1 (the IP address you want the computer to have)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.13.1 (this will not necessarily be the same as yours, enter your router's ip address here, if you don't know it I'll explain later how to find it)
DNS Server: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 (to set this click on Advanced, DNS, then the little + sign)

Next thing you need to do is to make sure Internet Sharing is on.
Go to System Preferences, Sharing
Make sure there's a checkmark on Internet Sharing and that you are sharing the connection from Wi-Fi to computers using Ethernet

Now on the PS3 do the internet connection test, and if everything was done properly it should work.

If you don't know your router's IP address here's how to find it.
Go to spotlight by Clicking on the Magnifying Glass in the upper right corner, type Network Utilty
Click Traceroute, and enter 8.8.8.8
Click trace
Your router's IP address should appear on the first line:
Traceroute has started…

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
 1  192.168.13.1 (192.168.13.1)  1.339 ms  1.194 ms  1.138 ms

I hope this has been helpful
ilikeredbull

Return to Mac OS X Support