Wifi faster then wired

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Wifi faster then wired

Postby eridarda » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:45 am

Hello,

First of all this piece of software is great. Many thanks!!!

I have a problem getting my bluray rips to stream. When i try it trough my wifi connection my current bitrate 18612 kb/s and everything is fine. Great playback without stuttering (when i let the buffer run full).
I`m allways testing the same file called Sin.City.2005.1080p.HDTV.DTS.x264-ESiR.mkv
When i swtitch to my wired network with or without a router my current bitrate is too low and the movie will begin to stutter.

I`ve tried tons of setups but can`t get it to work.
Is there anybody who can help me solve this matter?
I`ve attached my debug log.

I have a coreduo 2.4ghz and 3gb ram. Hardware shouldnt be the problem because on wifi it`s working fine
Attachments
Netwerk.jpg
JPG of my network
Netwerk.jpg (24.39 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
debug.zip
Debug Log
(15.67 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
eridarda

Re: Wifi faster then wired

Postby eridarda » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:29 pm

I solved this problem!!!

Maybe this solution is useful for a lot of users. This was giving me troubles for a long time

Turn off Flow Control on your NIC this wil increase the Bitrate a lot!!
"network connections"
"right click on your NIC"
"properties"
"configure NIC"
"advanced"
There`s an option called "Flow Control"

If not there are a few similar options that can be disabled. Just test them by enabling them again one by one. You`ll be surprised!
eridarda

Postby Jagged » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:14 pm

eridarda wrote:I solved this problem!!!

Maybe this solution is useful for a lot of users. This was giving me troubles for a long time

"network connections"
"properties"
"configure NIC"
"advanced"

If not there are a few similar options that can be disabled. Just test them by enabling them again one by one. You`ll be surprised!

If disabling flow control had that much impact, I think that something else may be wrong. You might want to check to be sure that the PC and switch are properly negotiating the correct speed/duplex. (and PS3 + switch, but since you only made changes on the PC, this should be fine)
Jagged

Postby wattershed » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Jagged wrote:If disabling flow control had that much impact, I think that something else may be wrong. You might want to check to be sure that the PC and switch are properly negotiating the correct speed/duplex. (and PS3 + switch, but since you only made changes on the PC, this should be fine)

Though I don't have a switch, I encountered the same issue with speed last night between my wired laptop and wired ps3 between the router. I made a thread about it here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1276 - any ideas what's going on there?

I don't know if I have to change any settings in the network card or not - I'm a little clueless when it comes to networking settings of this nature. Any help or ideas on a solution would be great.
wattershed

Postby eridarda » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Jagged wrote:
eridarda wrote:I solved this problem!!!

"network connections"
"properties"
"configure NIC"
"advanced"

If disabling flow control had that much impact, I think that something else may be wrong. You might want to check to be sure that the PC and switch are properly negotiating the correct speed/duplex. (and PS3 + switch, but since you only made changes on the PC, this should be fine)

You are right. GB to GB should not need flow control. But anyway i`m happy for now cause HD streaming is working flawless.
eridarda

Return to General Help and Support