Use PMS without internet?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Use PMS without internet?

Postby Baller80 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Is it possible to use PMS without using the internet, just pluging the internet cable from the pc directly to the ps3? I tried it but PMS couldnt find the PS3.
Baller80

Re: Use PMS without internet?

Postby Jagged » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:59 pm

Baller80 wrote:Is it possible to use PMS without using the internet, just pluging the internet cable from the pc directly to the ps3? I tried it but PMS couldnt find the PS3.

I assume you mean attaching the ethernet cable to the PC and the PS3? That is possible, however you would need to assign a static ip address to your ethernet card on your pc and on your ps3. Then when you move it back to the cablemodem/dsl modem, you'll need to switch the ip on your desktop back to dhcp assigned.

I would actually recommend getting a cheap router, as that'll have a DHCP server that can automatically assign ip's. It'll make your life much easier! They aren't very expensive (US $25-50).
Jagged

Re: Use PMS without internet?

Postby Baller80 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:05 am

Well the reason I want to do this is because I get extreme lag when i try to play hd material. I want to know if its because of my network or something else.
Could you please explain in detail how I can make it work?
Baller80

Return to General Help and Support