Maximum bandwidth setting

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Maximum bandwidth setting

Postby eSanto » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:20 pm

The maximum bandwidth setting under the video quality settings does not seem to be working. I'm on wireless G, so I'm trying to limit to 14mbps. This usually works for the first video transcoded, but the next video seems to play unlimited with the video shooting up to 30mbps or more (causing ridiculous studdering of course).

Using the latest release (1.10.51), with transcoded mkvs.

It's def. not my computer struggling to keep up (core i7 at 3.8ghz)

any ideas?
eSanto

Re: Maximum bandwidth setting

Postby shagrath » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:50 pm

in mpeg2 quality settings, try

keyint=25:vqscale=1:vqmin=2
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby eSanto » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:49 am

That seemed to fix it thanks! Can I ask what the keyint parament does, just out of curiousity? 8-)
eSanto

Postby shagrath » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:56 am

more cpu eater, but less bitrate :)
the default settings are optimized for slow cpus and wired connection
the quality settings will be revamped soon anyway
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby nokmond » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:22 pm

What should the "keyint=25:vqscale=1:vqmin=2" settings be for a quick cpu/wired system?
nokmond

Postby shagrath » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:44 pm

nokmond wrote:What should the "keyint=25:vqscale=1:vqmin=2" settings be for a quick cpu/wired system?

the default one... I talked about slow cpus earlier but it was just a way of saying "the default settings works on wired even if you have an old cpu"
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ExSport » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:30 pm

shagrath wrote:
nokmond wrote:What should the "keyint=25:vqscale=1:vqmin=2" settings be for a quick cpu/wired system?

I thought that vqmin=1 is the best quality possible so it is better for quick and wired computers.
But this http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2008-May/008694.html say me that better to tune vqmax than use vqmin=1.
Link says(1 year old so can be outdated today) that vqmin=1 can lead sometimes to less compatible files(compression) and less functional bitrate limitation when used. Smaller quantizer says better quality due to less compression, bigger quantizer say greater compression, lower bitrate,worse quality. vqmax in default is 31 which is very low bitrate, so maybe vqmin=2 and vqmax<31 will give better quality in some scenes where mencoder without provided vqmax uses big quantizers.
Theory says that vqmin=1 and vqmax=1 will give us ultimate quality with also ultimately big bitrate, but as link said it can lead to same side effect as overexposure for photos so hard to find optimal formula.
Who is expert in compressing parameters can provide us best mencoder settings for maximum quality formula on wired and fast cpus and for slower or wifi PC so we can create modified ones for more profiles by analogy.
For now I use on 4core wired PC this "max quality" formula "keyint=1 or 25:vqscale=1:vqmin=1". Exists better one?
Thanks
ExSport

Postby odub303 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:15 am

I am having difficulty "enforcing" the maximum bandwidth setting as well, even after trying the recommended 25:1:2 settings. I am currently using m HP ex487 Windows Home Server to transcode and stream movies to my PS3 using PMS The WHS has a 64 bit single core Celeron 440 2.0 ghz processor and 2 gigs of ddr2 800 mhz memory, so it has what i would consider "adequate" muscle. I downloaded some blueray rips (some 1080p some 720p) and cannot get the stuttering to cease when streaming because the video bitrate keeps climbing up over over 12-15mbs, which is where I notice the stuttering start to happen. The good news is that within the next week my entire house will be wired with cat 6 gigE cable, so I will no longer be running wireless! Until then though, I would like to try to figure out how to enforce the maximum video bandwidth setting. Basically, I'm looking for optimum settings for my particular server configuration over wireless g to my PS3. Let's assume I am transcoding 1080p that has already been ripped from a bluray source, so it is not "true" uncompressed 1080p anymore. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks!

Ryan

P.S. This software is so much easier and more functional than TVersity, I love it!
odub303

Postby Jagged » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:10 am

odub303 wrote:I am having difficulty "enforcing" the maximum bandwidth setting as well, even after trying the recommended 25:1:2 settings. I am currently using m HP ex487 Windows Home Server to transcode and stream movies to my PS3 using PMS The WHS has a 64 bit single core Celeron 440 2.0 ghz processor and 2 gigs of ddr2 800 mhz memory, so it has what i would consider "adequate" muscle. I downloaded some blueray rips (some 1080p some 720p) and cannot get the stuttering to cease when streaming because the video bitrate keeps climbing up over over 12-15mbs, which is where I notice the stuttering start to happen. The good news is that within the next week my entire house will be wired with cat 6 gigE cable, so I will no longer be running wireless! Until then though, I would like to try to figure out how to enforce the maximum video bandwidth setting. Basically, I'm looking for optimum settings for my particular server configuration over wireless g to my PS3. Let's assume I am transcoding 1080p that has already been ripped from a bluray source, so it is not "true" uncompressed 1080p anymore. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks!

Ryan

P.S. This software is so much easier and more functional than TVersity, I love it!

Are you transcoding? (is the "switch to tsmuxer for compatible videos" unchecked?).

I also think you'd be hard pressed to transcode 1080p on a single core proc @ 2ghz.
Jagged

Postby odub303 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:37 am

Jagged wrote:
odub303 wrote:I am having difficulty "enforcing" the maximum bandwidth setting as well, even after trying the recommended 25:1:2 settings. I am currently using m HP ex487 Windows Home Server to transcode and stream movies to my PS3 using PMS The WHS has a 64 bit single core Celeron 440 2.0 ghz processor and 2 gigs of ddr2 800 mhz memory, so it has what i would consider "adequate" muscle. I downloaded some blueray rips (some 1080p some 720p) and cannot get the stuttering to cease when streaming because the video bitrate keeps climbing up over over 12-15mbs, which is where I notice the stuttering start to happen. The good news is that within the next week my entire house will be wired with cat 6 gigE cable, so I will no longer be running wireless! Until then though, I would like to try to figure out how to enforce the maximum video bandwidth setting. Basically, I'm looking for optimum settings for my particular server configuration over wireless g to my PS3. Let's assume I am transcoding 1080p that has already been ripped from a bluray source, so it is not "true" uncompressed 1080p anymore. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks!

Ryan

Are you transcoding? (is the "switch to tsmuxer for compatible videos" unchecked?).

I also think you'd be hard pressed to transcode 1080p on a single core proc @ 2ghz.

The "switch to tsmuxer for compatible videos IS checked".... I'm assuming, from your statement, that I should uncheck it?
As for transcoding 1080p, it's not full bandwidth 1080p, it's already been compressed during the rip from the bluray source, so it shouldn't be AS difficult to transcode in real time.

Ryan
odub303

Next

Return to General Help and Support