Itunes file custom location

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Itunes file custom location

Postby TomDoe » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:39 am

Hi,

could someone please reply if an option to specify the iTunes file location exists in newer versions of PS3 Mediaserver.

Thanks.
TomDoe

Re: Itunes file custom location

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:55 am

TomDoe wrote:could someone please reply if an option to specify the iTunes file location exists in newer versions of PS3 Mediaserver.

No, such option does not exist. PMS detects the location if the iTunes library automatically without the possibility to override.

To be exact:
  • On OSX PMS runs the command "defaults read com.apple.iApps iTunesRecentDatabases"
  • On Windows it runs the command 'reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Music"'
to determine the location of the file.
You can run these commands yourself to see what the outcome is for your system.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby TomDoe » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:08 pm

The query correctly finds the folder where itunes folder with xml resides, but then why PMS (1.21.0) states that no itunes folder can be found??

main] INFO 13:06:22.385 Could not find the iTunes file
TomDoe

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Do you have the same problem with the most recent versions of PMS?
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby TomDoe » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:15 pm

No, since this version otherwise runs without glitches (for movies) I was reluctant to try an upgrade if no evident solution is available. Are there any problems if two installations of PMS exists - different folder location? Which one of the newer versions would be most stable?

Thanks for helping.

Another thing: the locations specified by the query is just for itunes xml files. Music files are located on a different raid database hdd (specified in itunes advanced settings - "iTunes media folder location".
TomDoe

Postby TomDoe » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:17 am

Bump
TomDoe

Postby echidna3 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:35 am

I know this is a massive thread mine, but I think it is important that I post the solution I found to this problem.
I had exactly the same issue - I moved my iTunes music folder and music library file to a custom location on another hard drive.
PS3 Media Server was no longer able to find the file, and therefore I couldn't access my iTunes library on my PS3.

So what I did is this:
I created a symbolic link from the old (default) location to the new (custom) location of the iTunes media library.

In Windows 7, open up the Command Prompt as an Administrator (right click, Run as Administrator).
Navigate to the old (default) location of the iTunes media library. (Usually C:\Users\*your user name*\Music)
Type this command: mklink /d "iTunes" "*new itunes library location*"

For example, if you now store your iTunes files on your F: drive, in the folder All My Music, this would be what you write:
mklink /d "iTunes" "F:\All My Music\iTunes"

You should get a message saying the link creation was successful.
Then restart your PS3 Media Server.
Complete.

I believe this is also possible in Windows XP / Windows 2000, and also Mac and Linux on that note, but you'd have to Google the commands.
echidna3

Return to General Help and Support