I'm curious about my security

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

I'm curious about my security

Postby crapoo16 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:42 am

Hello there, sometimes when I open up PS3 Media server, I find some other unknown renderers on the list. Well I probably don't have the plugins for that, but anyways, I was wondering, is it possible for the other people in my house to just go ahead and browse through my files using the PS3 Media Share? I got all my, 'goodies', in there, and don't want other people to be looking through that. I live with a couple strangers so that would be a bit odd...

Just want to know if they're able to access my files without my authorization.
crapoo16

Re: I'm curious about my security

Postby taconaut » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:46 am

Possibly. If you want to be sure they can't, you can set the ip filter ton only accept connections from your renderer.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby crapoo16 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:38 am

And how would I do that ? Do I enter my PS3's IP Address under General Config -> Use an IP Filter?
crapoo16

Postby taconaut » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:45 am

Exactly. Currently you can only allow one device with a single device to connect; with the next release you'll be able to define ranges (renszarv has added a cool new feature :))
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby crapoo16 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Alright then thanks, I'll try that, we'll see if there are any other unauthorized items in my status bar.

(Just because i see more than one item in my detected media renderers does that mean they can see my crap?)
crapoo16

Postby devildog93 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:51 pm

taconaut wrote:Exactly. Currently you can only allow one device with a single device to connect; with the next release you'll be able to define ranges (renszarv has added a cool new feature :))

Nice !!! I have been reading about it, but I haven't found any indication it has been implemented yet. Looking forward to this feature.
devildog93

Postby devildog93 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:58 pm

crapoo16 wrote:Alright then thanks, I'll try that, we'll see if there are any other unauthorized items in my status bar.

(Just because i see more than one item in my detected media renderers does that mean they can see my crap?)

Once you specify your desired device IP, all others devices will be denied any access.

Certain detected renderers you see in traces my not even be even compliant with PMS. For instance, I used to see my Opera Unite server in PMS Traces tab, but I could never see PMS from within Opera Unite.

If you are running Win7, you can also completely disable Windows Media Player and Media Center if you never use them. Just a FYI.
devildog93

Return to General Discussion