Ubuntu runs pms.sh in text editor....then nothing.

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Ubuntu runs pms.sh in text editor....then nothing.

Postby stone93 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:08 am

Sorry about this question if I am just missing something really obvious, but i'm rather new to ubuntu and can't seem to get this program working. I've given this problem a really long time with lots of research put into it and it doesn't seem like anyone has had this problem but me. I've extracted the archive to the home folder and run the pms.sh file and all I get is the following, opened inside the text editor:
#!/bin/sh

DIRNAME=`dirname $0`

# OS specific support (must be 'true' or 'false').
cygwin=false;
case "`uname`" in
CYGWIN*)
cygwin=true
;;
esac

# For Cygwin, ensure paths are in UNIX format before anything is touched
if $cygwin ; then
[ -n "$PMS_HOME" ] &&
PMS_HOME=`cygpath --unix "$PMS_HOME"`
[ -n "$JAVA_HOME" ] &&
JAVA_HOME=`cygpath --unix "$JAVA_HOME"`
fi

# Setup PMS_HOME
if [ "x$PMS_HOME" = "x" ]; then
PMS_HOME=`cd $DIRNAME/; pwd`
fi
export PMS_HOME

# Setup the JVM
if [ "x$JAVA" = "x" ]; then
if [ "x$JAVA_HOME" != "x" ]; then
JAVA="$JAVA_HOME/bin/java"
else
JAVA="java"
fi
fi

# Setup the classpath
PMS_JAR="$PMS_HOME/pms.jar"

# For Cygwin, switch paths to Windows format before running java
if $cygwin; then
PMS_HOME=`cygpath --path --windows "$PMS_HOME"`
JAVA_HOME=`cygpath --path --windows "$JAVA_HOME"`
PMS_CLASSPATH=`cygpath --path --windows "$PMS_CLASSPATH"`
fi

# Execute the JVM
exec "$JAVA" $JAVA_OPTS -Xmx768M -Djava.encoding=UTF-8 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -jar "$PMS_JAR" "$@"

Not sure if that helps at all but any and all help would be appreciated. It would be a pretty simple task if I could look this program up in the synaptic package manager haha but I'm willing to try other methods. Thanks in advance.
stone93

Re: Ubuntu runs pms.sh in text editor....then nothing.

Postby Jagged » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:49 am

You should make sure that PMS.sh is set executable. You can run chmod a+x PMS.sh from the folder where you've extracted PS3 Media Server to. You can do this from the desktop, as well (instructions will vary based on the file manager you use). This might be helpful: http://ma65p.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/how-to-make-a-file-executable-in-ubuntu/
Jagged

Re: Ubuntu runs pms.sh in text editor....then nothing.

Postby stone93 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Jagged wrote:You should make sure that PMS.sh is set executable. You can run chmod a+x PMS.sh from the folder where you've extracted PS3 Media Server to. You can do this from the desktop, as well (instructions will vary based on the file manager you use). This might be helpful: http://ma65p.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/how-to-make-a-file-executable-in-ubuntu/

Hey, everyone has to start somewhere with linux right??!!

Thank you so much, after reading this it took me about 30 seconds to get it to work. You're the man! Much appreciated!
stone93

Return to Linux/Unix Support