Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

Postby Val Killmore » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Just tried Serviio again.

Fail. Jams up my PC with FFMpeg.exe process. Took over an hour to scan a folder that PMS instantly populates. Nevermind it took me nearly two hours to get Serviio icon to pop up on my PS3.

I can't even try the actual server itself to see how it functions. Perhaps it is a good media server.......I have just never had the opportunity to actually test/use it. It jams up my PC everytime.

Perhaps I will give it another shot today. I want to be willing to try other servers, but other servers are making it hard to do so.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby lesmikesell » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:56 am

I think serviio will go looking for dvd cover art for thumbnails unless you tell it not to. That might take a while depending on your folder size and internet connection. Startup time isn't a big issue if you leave it running all the time anyway. I have bigger problems now with PMS since I want to run it on a imac with OSX 10.5 where mplayer crashes with the current release - and what I want to play are video_ts folders.
lesmikesell

Postby Xmantium » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:35 am

Serviio scan your media initially, depends how much content you have. It not only scans the thumbnail but also searches online for metadata information. Once its done I'm sure you'd be very surprised of the features.
If you have any issues head to the Serviio forums.
I'm not sure why people consider wild media server, its interface is ugly and slow.
PMS Running on QNAP TS-639 Pro Linux Server, 1.2 DualCore Intel, 12TB RAID5 HDD
Xmantium

Postby gatsby » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Logitech Media Server was recently released (replaces Squeezebox Server) and now supports video. Works great on my PS3.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.7
gatsby

Postby Xmantium » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Does it transcode video on the fly?
PMS Running on QNAP TS-639 Pro Linux Server, 1.2 DualCore Intel, 12TB RAID5 HDD
Xmantium

Postby taconaut » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Xmantium wrote:Does it transcode video on the fly?

All my videos show up as 'unsupproted data' on the ps3; I guess this is a no for your question. I love the server to stream music to my squeezeboxes though.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby happy.neko » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:18 pm

PS3 Media Server with PS3 as renderer are perfect match. Really. With recent improvements, fresh ffmpeg and mplayer every piece of the puzzle is in its place. Support for other renderers is preliminary, but for playstation 3 you'll not find anything better.

I want to tell everyone about new great DLNA server project - xupnpd. It is lightweight (~280 Kb to be specific) DLNA server written by awesome Russian guy for the purpose of consuming video streams. Primarily for IPTV UDP streams (multicast and unicast) but you can use it for anything, just add m3u playlist with URLs through web-interface. It also has parser for youtube and vimeo feeds, and you even can write your own parsers with LUA scripts!

It is superfast too, I installed it onto my wi-fi router and now use my PS3 as IPTV STB. I wrote step-by-step guide about installation on Asus routers and general linux PCs, but it's in russian. :)
xupnpd Guide.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby mustafacat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:21 pm

serviio is wonderful, the only main issue for me with serviio is the subtitles thing, it is what brings me back to PS3MS.
I have Bravia KDL40NX710 and I also have sony bluray BDP S470. PS3MS works very good with the Bravia, however you always feel like there is something not good with the picture resolution. and it doesn't work with the BDP S470 most of the time.
Serviio works like charm with the BDP 470, and either Sony or the serviio people should come to solution regarding this subtitles over the DLNA issue !!! I can't believe it is a difficult thing to accomplish !!
I have to admit that the newer versions of PS3MS are improving a lot, at least now it works much better with my bravia, and the resolution thing is almost solved :). so for now I think i will be sticking with the PS3MS untill the serviio or sony guys help me with the subtitles thing..

great work both of them, and they really should complement each other.. ;)...
i wish if i could copy paste the Bluray profile from Serviio to the PS3MS and see what will happen :D

regards
mustafacat

Postby tcviper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:26 pm

That Russian solution doesnt support transcoding and is a way to simple product.
People these days are looking for an all in one solution that is able to show MKV and ISO files on a Bravia or PS3 without the need for anything else. PS3MS is still the only one that can do all this, specially with subtitles support (though it is a bit buggy atm).

I have tried many others like iSedora, Mezzmo, Wild Media Server, Serviio, Nero mediahome, Twonky, Tversity etc etc but none of them offers what PS3MS offers (unfortunately).... they either lack support for ISO's, MKV's, Subtitles or video_ts folders. For my Apple devices I now use Plex mediaserver (to bad it doesnt do DLNA).
tcviper

Postby Illico » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:37 pm

PS3 Media Server is probably the best solution for PS3 users;
But for me, Serviio is the best for Sony and Samsung devices (recommended by Sony.UK).
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX501 | Sony BDP-S373 | Sony SMP-N100 |Serviio / PS3MS | Buffalo 2Share DD
Illico

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion