Attempting to Add WTV Support

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

Re: Attempting to Add WTV Support

Postby dburckh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:41 am

Raptor399 wrote:Nice work, dburckh. It's good to see development pick up where tsMuxeR left off.

Personally I would rather integrate a working library into PMS than integrate its full source code into PMS. I think the devs have enough work on their hands already trying to make PMS work without having to worry about the inner workings of transcoding and muxing. ;-)
Compare tsMuxeR itself; we happily use it, but we don't have to know what makes it tick internally.

If you would manage to cook up a viable standalone replacement that works on all platforms, we would be silly to not consider it. :-)

My stuff actually supercedes TsMuxer. I will have to say, buggy or not, TsMuxer is an impressive piece of software. Muxing H264 is a real challenge.

RemuxTool was a supposed to be a replacement for the TySuiteJ muxer. That died for various reasons.

Anyway, I'm not claiming it's perfect, but it generally works. I can take in a file no problem. The problem will be writing to an OutputStream
dburckh

Postby dburckh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:30 am

Raptor399 wrote:Nice work, dburckh. It's good to see development pick up where tsMuxeR left off.

Personally I would rather integrate a working library into PMS than integrate its full source code into PMS. I think the devs have enough work on their hands already trying to make PMS work without having to worry about the inner workings of transcoding and muxing. ;-)
Compare tsMuxeR itself; we happily use it, but we don't have to know what makes it tick internally.

If you would manage to cook up a viable standalone replacement that works on all platforms, we would be silly to not consider it. :-)

Alright, we should be able do a proof of concept pretty easily. I need some way to get a File. By default I write to a WritableByteChannel, but I can write an adapter to go an OuputStream pretty easy. I don't know what consumes std.out from FFMpegDVRMSRemux. Do you have any design docs?

I have a couple of known issues:
  • I don't know how to tell what the primary stream in a WTV file is. I usually pick to the one with the highest bitrate
  • If there is a long enough lag with no audio, my muxer will crash. I've been meaning to fix this, but I've always gotten away with just bumping up the buffer
  • I don't have any support for seek. Position based would be straight forward, time based would be possible, but harder.
I don't know how you get your stream meta, but I have my own. It's pretty good with MPEG-2, VC-1, AC3/EAC3, DTS and MP3. It has limited support for H264, AAC, dtsHD & trueHD. As I said, I can read WTV, (M2)TS & VOB/PES. That may be useful for you as well.
dburckh

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:02 am

dburckh wrote:My stuff actually supercedes TsMuxer.

If you're looking for inspiration, there are/were a couple of related projects:

chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby dburckh » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:19 am

Ok I'm a little confused. By supercedes I mean I wrote my stuff before TsMuxer existed. The original code was part of TySuiteJ/ToNMT.

I've considered adding an MKV, but I haven't hard a reason until now, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Anyway, if somebody can help me out with the integration, I'll build and adapter and we can give this a whirl.
dburckh

Previous

Return to Developers