Copying over to HDD

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Copying over to HDD

Postby 123qwesz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi everybody,

First off, I would like to give props to the makers of PS3 Media server. It is much more easier to use as compared to tversity and windows media player 11 stream capabilities,

I tried to stream a 5 gig .mkv file on my PS3 and there were a great deal of lag when doing so. Thus, today I tried copying it over to the HDD via Wireless. I know, wireless takes a long time as compared to the wired connection.

Now the thing is, I've been letting it copy into the PS3 for 2 hours now and the file displayed on the PS3 apparently has been increased significantly. The initial 5 Gig file has risen to 10 Gigs! Not only that, it still hasn't finished copying and continues with the operation.

Is this a common problem faced by all PS3 mEdia server users? Please help me out... I really do not want to cancel the video copy :oops:
123qwesz

Re: Copying over to HDD

Postby shagrath » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:14 pm

before copying the file, have you tried to limit the bandwidth in the transcoding settings ? (right value for wireless is something like 15, or maybe less)
besides, limiting bandwidth will limit the file size if you want nonetheless to copy it
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby 123qwesz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:22 pm

shagrath wrote:before copying the file, have you tried to limit the bandwidth in the transcoding settings ? (right value for wireless is something like 15, or maybe less)
besides, limiting bandwidth will limit the file size if you want nonetheless to copy it

Nope, I didn't do that, but left the settings as default. From what you described, under Max Bandwidth, its at '0'. I take it isn't a good thing? Oh, the file is 12 Gigs now... I'm thinking of canceling the operation within the hour. :|
123qwesz

Postby shagrath » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:27 pm

default settings are set for a wired connection, try to stream with a value of 15, or less
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby 123qwesz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Hey guys,
I just cancelled the copying after 4 hours... :|

I have changed the maximum bandwith to 15 and initiated copying once more.

Just to clarify, would this mean that the file being copied over would be smaller or the same as the original .mkv file?

PS. Last I checked, it was at 15 GB!
123qwesz

Return to General Help and Support