Folder Limit Workaround

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Folder Limit Workaround

Postby SharkHunter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi all,

In the latest SHB (=SHB17) I added a folder limit patch (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11526) which is a try to get around the PS3 annoying limit on only 8 folders deep browsing tree.
The solution I made works as follows:
When you open a folder that folder will be added to the "Folder Limit" folder ALWAYS. This means that the "Folder Limit" folder will contain the LAST browsed folder ONLY. There is currnently no active check that you actually hit the limit. This means that you cant drill down one path and then another and then go back to the "Folder Limit" folder and hope to find both your drilled paths, you'll just find the latest one.

I started this thread to discuss (form a user point of view) how this feature should evolve (if it should or if it should just die). So how should it work?

First some things that will be done:
1) It will configurable so renders without this limit will not have a "Folder Limit" folder.
2) It will most likely count the folder depth and only add folders when you hit the limit.

Some wild ideas:
1) Do you wan't to be able to drill down multiple paths?
2) Should it be possible use the folder limit recursevly? That is if you hit the folder limit while browsing in the folder limit folder a new folder limit to start etc.
3) ???
SharkHunter

Re: Folder Limit Workaround

Postby lastmoexit » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:44 pm

lastmoexit wrote:...it will only remember the first folder that I watch something from, whether it be local or in a channel. Other times, it will not register a thing.

SharkHunter wrote:When you open a folder that folder will be added to the "Folder Limit" folder ALWAYS. This means that the "Folder Limit" folder will contain the LAST browsed folder ONLY.

I didn't explain very well what I meant. Sorry 'bout that. Let me try again.

What happens is Folder Limit will remember the first and only the first folder that I browse to. I understand that Folder Limit will only contain one folder at any point, but it only remembers the very first folder that I browse to.

Ex.: If after browsing and watching something in Folder A, Folder Limit will the contain Folder A. Now if I then browse to Folder B and watch something else, when I return to Folder Limit it still is showing Folder A. It does not seem to matter how many different folders I go to and watch something. Whenever I return to Folder Limit is still contains Folder A from when I first started. I hope that makes it a little more clear the point I was trying to convey. ...keep on truckin' ...peace

-lastmoexit

edit:
SharkHunter wrote:2) Should it be possible use the folder limit recursevly? That is if you hit the folder limit while browsing in the folder limit folder a new folder limit to start etc.

I like the sound of this!
lastmoexit

Postby SharkHunter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:02 pm

It works (for me). You might just need to back your way out all the way to the top to make the folder limit refresh itself.
SharkHunter

Postby lastmoexit » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Do you mean all the way out of PMS back into the PS3 XMB? Or just to the top where the Folder Limit folder resides. Because I think I've done both with the same results, but I will check again to make sure.
lastmoexit

Postby Narcio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:09 pm

I think this is an excellent idea and its extremely necessary for those using stupid PS3s like me :)

I tried out the latest SHB25, and the folder limit thing seems to work nicely. If you can get this working recursively it would be a nice feature, if not, the extra depth without recursion covers more than 90% of my problems.
Narcio

Postby SharkHunter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Glad someone likes this :). I made the folder limit recursive and I'll put it out next SHB (later this week). Watch closely...

Edit. Part of SHB26
SharkHunter

Return to Additions and Plugins