Streaming MPO file to PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Streaming MPO file to PS3

Postby taconaut » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:51 pm

I won't send out custom builds as this was what I wanted to avoid by adding this feature.
Thinking about it, it should be enough for you to rename the extension some of your *.mpo files to *.jpg and see if they can be viewed on your renderer. Make sure to show your file extensions in windows!
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby MaxWhite » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:04 am

That is what I have tested before requesting this feature, already ;-).

For example - to the files that have the name "ABC.mpo" i have added the extension ".jpg" to get "ABC.mpo.jpg".

With this extension - the files were listed and I could access with on my Samsung TV in 3D without a problem (the TV detected the 3D function with this files automatically).
MaxWhite

Postby taconaut » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:11 am

Oh, I didn't realize you had tested this. The mpo file extension has been added to be recognized as jpg in r824
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby MaxWhite » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:19 am

Great - thanks!
(now I am just waiting to get the download for the next build ;-))
MaxWhite

Postby taconaut » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:28 am

Did you test this on the ps3?
taconaut
Project Member

Postby MaxWhite » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 pm

I have tested (renamed MPO to JPG) on PS3 and Samsung TV.

PS3 -> PMS = the PS3 does display the first jpg in the MPO - as it does not understand that MPO has two jpg in one single file.
Samsung TV -> PMS = the Samsung TV can handle this format as 3D with two jpg in the MPO and will switch into 3D display mode automatically.

So PS3 and Samsung TV work as expected.
MaxWhite

Postby taconaut » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:16 am

Thanks for clarifying! Now you should be able to use them with the freshly released 1.40 :)
taconaut
Project Member

Postby MaxWhite » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Downloaded, installed and works as expected :-)
THANKS!!
MaxWhite

Postby turay » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:20 am

MaxWhite wrote:That is what I have tested before requesting this feature, already ;-).

For example - to the files that have the name "ABC.mpo" i have added the extension ".jpg" to get "ABC.mpo.jpg".

With this extension - the files were listed and I could access with on my Samsung TV in 3D without a problem (the TV detected the 3D function with this files automatically).

The fact that the Samsung TV recognized the file as a 3D file is very interesting. Could it be that the TV took a hint from the ".mpo.jpg" extension, or does renaming "ABC.mpo" to "ABC.jpg" also lead to automatic 3D detection?

What about Samsung BD-players? Do they also recognize streamed 3D content automatically?

PS: I understand that release 1.40 now makes renaming of these files unnecessary.
I am asking anyway because I am more interested on which Samsung devices and under what circumstances the "renaming hack" works.
turay

Postby MaxWhite » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 am

Maybe the Samsung TV detects this based on the file content (recognizes the second picture in the jpeg)?
MaxWhite

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support