Shuffle video support

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Shuffle video support

Postby cendrizzi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:51 am

So I know the PS3 at least doesn't support shuffling videos (unless I'm missing something). So I'm wondering if PS3 Media Server could fill in this gap.

This feature mostly comes up with tv shows like the Simpsons or Futurama. I've pretty much seen all the episodes but they are fun to revisit every now and again, often times when I want them in the background. For this type of scenario shuffling would be ideal. Instead of having to go through all the season episodes, I just want to have a random episode selected.

Now maybe I'm off base and this isn't possible, but I was thinking that you could potentially handle this on the server side, since the PS3 as a client doesn't support it. Much like you have "videos" that provide functionality to change settings, add the first title on each playlist, folder as a special "Shuffle" one. When selected, PS3 media server will randomly pick something within that playlist and feed it out.

What do you think?
cendrizzi

Re: Shuffle video support

Postby craxxee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:46 pm

First off let me say awesome work Shagrath, this program ROCKS!!!!
I know this thread is from quite a while ago, but I as well would love to see this feature implemented if it is possible, as I like to watch seasons of different shows to go to sleep and it would be better if they weren't in the same order all the time

Thanks

Craxxee
craxxee

Postby MeepZero » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:59 am

I just wanted to put my stamp on this too. I have a bunch of TV shows and the ability to just have the media server just grab a random episode of whatever would be great to just run something in the background.
MeepZero

Random video playback for music videos

Postby Whtwabbit » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:47 am

I usually make a playlist for music videos, but it would be great to be able to playback the list randomly, I use the playstation shuffle for music but that feature is not available in the video section
Whtwabbit

Video Shuffling

Postby Dgomez432 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:43 pm

I recently discovered that you can go into the Settings on the PS3 and under Video Settings you can tell it to play "Sequential Order". Which is cool so you don't have to keep selecting a video (I have a lot of music videos) but the only downside is that it plays then in Alphabetical order. my way around this was to go into PS3 Media Server 'Main Panel" and under "Navigation/Share Settings" i went to the drop down menu "File Order" and selected "By Date/Newest First" this kinda shuffles them but it would be cool if you could add a "Shuffle File Order" option so I could have it continuously play videos in a random order
Dgomez432

Postby brettstix » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:27 am

Bump. I agree. Under navigation settings a "Play in Random Order" or "Shuffle" option would be great. I like to put on music videos in the background but it gets repettative when you know what song is coming next.

Thanks.
brettstix

Return to Feature Suggestions