.PDF support

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

.PDF support

Postby ufo8mycow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:32 am

It would be interesting to be able to view pdf documents through the ps3 and onto the big screen :-) especially useful for those 'dummies guide to'

regards
James
ufo8mycow

Re: .PDF support

Postby shagrath » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:30 am

actually it was of the first things I thought, but there isn't an open source pdf java library robust enough (yet)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Topguy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:53 pm

shagrath wrote:actually it was of the first things I thought, but there isn't an open source pdf java library robust enough (yet)

Using a free separate conversion tool like ImageMagick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageMagick ) could also be a solution.
Topguy

Postby -m- » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:21 pm

if you export your pdf's to png files (best image quality from what i know), you can zip them and rename them with .cbr/cbz and read them like they're comics or image archives. works great. i have quite a few books in pdf format that i'm going to do this with because reading on a 37" hd screen in bed is better (sometimes) than holding a book.

i'd also make sure you have a version that supports this format. i'm on 1.30-something.

hope that helps!
-m-

Postby DeFlanko » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:55 pm

@-m- the best image format you can ever use is TIFF.

@shagrath check this out: http://www.icepdf.org/
(yet)=(now)
Developed a few CONF files...
DeFlanko

Postby -m- » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:27 pm

ah, thanks! i'll re-extract the book i'm currently reading in that case. i've only done one so far but it's great. i have a ton more that i'd like to convert so, good to know.
-m-

Postby SuperDre » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:14 am

Yeah, it would be cool if PS3 media server could stream PDF's. but would be a nice challenge to figure out how to do zooming, other controls aren't as difficult as chapter previous/next would be flipping pages ofcourse, and chapter search would be showing every page.. I haven't checked anything out about dnla (as there is hardly any information/documentation around as far as I checked awhile back), so I haven't got the foggiest idea if the server is able to receive any info on what buttons are pressed, but I'd gather it isn't otherwise buttons like 'audiotrack' or 'subtitle' would already be supported.
SuperDre

Return to Feature Suggestions