BD Subtitles (bdpg) does not render properly

Download and discuss official beta builds here

BD Subtitles (bdpg) does not render properly

Postby XenoPhex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:40 am

*Note* Running off of SVN r817
According to VLC the codec format is 'BD Subtitles (bdpg)' and mkvinfo gave me the following:
Code: Select all
| + A track
|  + Track number: 4
|  + Track UID: 4230556092
|  + Track type: subtitles
|  + Lacing flag: 0
|  + Codec ID: S_HDMV/PGS
|  + Content encodings
|   + Content encoding
|    + Content compression

When the video is playing, you see a weird multicolored flash of text that stretches across the center of the screen whenever a subtitle should pop up. It lasts about a second and then goes away. Randomly I do see the subtitles at the bottom of the video, but it's cut off and you can only see the tops of the letters. I've tried all combinations of the subtitles settings and I can't seem to get it to work. Any suggestions?
Specs: OS X 10.7.2 (64 Bit Mode); 2x 2.26 GHz Quad Core Intel i7 Processors with HT Enabled; 6 GB DDR3; ATI 5870
Network: Gigabit Ethernet LAN, all hardlined
JDK: build 1.6.0_29-b11-402-11M3527
PS3: Slim 160GB
XenoPhex

Re: BD Subtitles (bdpg) does not render properly

Postby ExSport » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:48 am

Until now there was no PGS subtitle support so I am impressed it "somehow" works ;)
Anyway I don't think it can be played also in case MEncoder added this support because you need to change PMS code itself to support this kind of subtitles.
Maybe your problem has no connection to PGS subtitles which should not be supported util now(what I know)...
ExSport

Postby Val Killmore » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:27 am

XenoPhex wrote:
When the video is playing, you see a weird multicolored flash of text that stretches across the center of the screen whenever a subtitle should pop up. It lasts about a second and then goes away. Randomly I do see the subtitles at the bottom of the video, but it's cut off and you can only see the tops of the letters. I've tried all combinations of the subtitles settings and I can't seem to get it to work. Any suggestions?

This is a trait of PGS subs I noticed a while back during an attempt at transcode. I have only one movie in my whole collection that has PGS subs, and one of the few movies I actually need subs for, and it does the EXACT same thing when I try to render the subs. The scene was flashy, so I didn't notice till the next scene in the dartk but it was very trippy :shock: It almost makes you think you are hallucinating.

I can only suggest converting the format of the subs, or looking online for another sub file in SRT format.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby mkvguy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:10 am

Unfortunately, I've noticed the same problems, PGS subtitles don't work.

The only solution is to extract them from the container file (mkv or whatever) and convert them to SRT format.
* PMS 1.51.0-SB68
* Fedora Linux 64bit
* mplayer/mencoder SVN-r33254
* Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000
* Playstation 3
* Java 1.6.0.0-50.1.8.7
mkvguy

Return to Beta Builds