Git

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

Git

Postby renszarv » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi,

Have you considered using a distributed version control system, for example Git instead of Subversion ? It makes the developers life much easier, as it is possible to create local branches, to test patches, or some random ideas, and publish the work in progress branch so other can look into, and judged what should go into the mainline, and what should stay out of. And helps the fork makers life easier. As I know, google code already support mercurial and git too, so probably worth thinking about it?

BR,
Zsombor
renszarv
Project Member

Re: Git

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:08 pm

There's a GitHub repo:

https://github.com/ps3mediaserver/ps3mediaserver

We may switch to git, but it's not a priority at the moment. Plus, as you know, it's easy to get many of the advantages of a git workflow with git-svn.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby renszarv » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Yes, I've already use git-svn to follow the development, but I don't know that there is a git repo, so I will follow that too :-) But anyway it's a little bit simpler if the upstream is a git repo too.
Anyway, thanks ! :)
renszarv
Project Member

Postby renszarv » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Uhh, it's not the mirrored copy of the original subversion codebase, but it's seems to be edited, and removed a lot's of files at first glance ...
renszarv
Project Member

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:33 pm

It's Mavenized.

See here for prerequisites and build instructions.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby renszarv » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:58 pm

I see, I guess you don't want to store a lot's of precompiled binaries in the repository, that's why you removed all the previous history (currently my git repo with the full svn history is more than 500MB ... )
renszarv
Project Member

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Correct :-)

It's just for building pms.jar. The binaries would take the repo size over the free GitHub limit. That wouldn't be an issue (and the history would be preserved) if we moved to git or GitHub permanently, but at the moment it's just a convenience/experiment.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby renszarv » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:30 pm

chocolateboy wrote:Correct :-)

It's just for building pms.jar. The binaries would take the repo size over the free GitHub limit. That wouldn't be an issue (and the history would be preserved) if we moved to git or GitHub permanently, but at the moment it's just a convenience/experiment.

I see. Fortunately googlecode supports git, and the repo can be 2GB, so it would enough :) Until I think I will use git-svn locally, and not the github repo.
renszarv
Project Member

Postby lightglitch » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:47 am

I do have a git clone at https://github.com/lightglitch/ps3mediaserver without being mavenized for my future developments, anyone is welcome to use it.
lightglitch a.k.a Mário Franco
lightglitch
Project Member

Postby renszarv » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:02 am

lightglitch wrote:I do have a git clone at https://github.com/lightglitch/ps3mediaserver without being mavenized for my future developments, anyone is welcome to use it.

Great, thanks ! That's what I've needed :)
I've forked, and published my changes, not too much, but at least it's not become forgotten totally :)
renszarv
Project Member

Return to Developers