Youtube streaming using PMSEncoder and/or VLC

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Youtube streaming using PMSEncoder and/or VLC

Postby glenrocks » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:01 pm

I am new to the forum but been using PS3 media server for quite sometime now. Great media server for UPNP box with perfect audio (in my case, its Dlink DSM510 wired)

Now the issue, lately I have been having problem with certain youtube playlists but others work perfectly.

I am using PMSencoder mostly with .groovy scripts (get_flash_videos,youtube,youtube-dl scripts in the folder) but not sure how and which one is getting used to stream youtube videos.

Here are two playlists: first one doesn't work, second one does..so little confused and would certainly appreciate help from the experienced forum members.

1) problem playlist- videofeed.Web,Youtube,Playlist=http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/playlists/B126BFA11478EA08?client=ytapi-youtube-browse
2) working playlist- videofeed.Web,Youtube,Playlist=http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/playlists/87477D88CB57D34F?client=ytapi-youtube-browse

I tried other engines (mencoder web, mplayer video dump, VLC video streaming) but none of them worked on this playlist.

Thanks in advance and excuse me for new post as I could not find solution. Cheers! G
glenrocks

Re: Youtube streaming using PMSEncoder and/or VLC

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:12 pm

glenrocks wrote:I am using PMSencoder mostly with .groovy scripts (get_flash_videos,youtube,youtube-dl scripts in the folder)

Don't do that.

but not sure how and which one is getting used to stream youtube videos

PMSEncoder uses youtube-dl if it's available. Otherwise, it uses a built-in handler.

First of all, make sure you have the latest versions of PMS (bottom post), PMSEncoder, rtmpdump and youtube-dl installed and configured. Alternatively, if you're on Windows, you could try the SharkHunter build.

Failing that: https://github.com/chocolateboy/pmsencoder#Help
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby glenrocks » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Ahh, so scripts are in-built..removed them all as I missed very clear note under PMSEncoder release instructions.

First of all, thanks for responding ChocolatBoy.. I appreciate your help.

I do use windows and use latest PMS 1.31.0 and PMSEncoder 1.5.7 . I did get latest version of rtmpdump, youtube-dl.py. even get-flash-videos.1.24.py along with python2.7 and configured all the paths correctly in PMS.conf. (I doubt that I needed to install python as I assume PMSencoder already has inbuilt python interpreter)

After all that, problem still persists...same cmd.exe error 1 and I am wondering if this problem with some youtube videos/movies could be due to use of RTMP protocol for video streams? Any suggested solution ?? Any hints would be welcome.

Btw, I also tried SharkHunter build with same problem.. that build does have long list of additional feeds included..glad I could test both PMS as it got installed under different folder.

Cheers!
G
glenrocks

Postby glenrocks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:40 am

For anyone having issues with youtube, I have learnt over the time that for windows, SHB builds works well on windows vista with inbuild channels to expand on..current build SB61 + rtmpdump2.4 + curl 7.22.0 + youtube-dl (2012.01.08b)..only RTMP streams from youtube dont work for now. KB value added..2 cents! ;)
glenrocks

Return to Additions and Plugins