PS3 needs to be on when ps3ms boots?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS3 needs to be on when ps3ms boots?

Postby dmk11 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:17 pm

My PS3 is off most of the time. I noticed that when I have to reboot the computer where the PS3 ms is running, the PS3 won't see the media server next time. Seems like the PS3 has to be on when the PS3MS boots, if not, the MS won't be seen by the PS3.

Am I doing something wrong?
dmk11

Re: PS3 needs to be on when ps3ms boots?

Postby meskibob » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:42 pm

dmk11 wrote:My PS3 is off most of the time. I noticed that when I have to reboot the computer where the PS3 ms is running, the PS3 won't see the media server next time. Seems like the PS3 has to be on when the PS3MS boots, if not, the MS won't be seen by the PS3.

If your network and firewalls are set up correctly, PMS should respond to the MSearch request sent by the PS3 when it boots up (it does on mine). You can also wait for PMS to send out its alive notice (every 180 seconds) or simply just restart the PMS service and not the entire PC.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby dmk11 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:00 pm

meskibob wrote:If your network and firewalls are set up correctly, PMS should respond to the MSearch request sent by the PS3 when it boots up (it does on mine). You can also wait for PMS to send out its alive notice (every 180 seconds) or simply just restart the PMS service and not the entire PC.

Yeah, I've been fixing the problem by restarting the PMS service, but it's not something very convenient because I installed PMS on my HTPC without a real keyboard attached. I thought it was just kinda weird that if I have my PS3 on when I turn on PMS, it would work fine, but not when PS3 is not on. I'm running XP, I have firewall turned off.
dmk11

Postby meskibob » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:20 pm

dmk11 wrote:I thought it was just kinda weird that if I have my PS3 on when I turn on PMS, it would work fine, but not when PS3 is not on.
How is your HTPC connected to the PS3, and if you're using a router, is Multicast enabled?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support